The Gods of smoke are on my side, so far... Pics now

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
So, the bride's grandmother (Memaw) turns 100 years old tomorrow, and of course, there is a big gathering planned. Well, my brother in law said he would pay for a local food truck operator to come on site at the community center and do a fish fry since Memaw loves her some fried catfish.

Well, there are a few folks in the family that don't like fish and I was "voluntold" to smoke a brisket and some sausage for them. 99% of the time, I'd be all over it! But, the high today was only supposed to be 30f (-1c) with a north wind at 20-30 mph (42-48 kph). NOT great weather for me to be smoking a brisket in my WEBER KETTLE! But, when a 100 year old woman "asks" you to do it, you get busy!

Yep, I don't have any of my 3 big smokers out here at the new place! One went to NM with #2 son, nephew fell in love with the "Buzzard Burner" off set I built many years ago so it went home with him when I was moving, and the neighbor down the road bought my custom vertical I made 10-12 years back!

I have the metal to build a new smoker, but farm stuff and cows have taken up most of my time, and the kettle has been doing great for me and the bride so far. But not in cold temps and high winds.

So this morning I got the kettle arranged behind the shop (south side), rubbed the brisket, and hoped for the best. Well the wind died down to about half of what was predicted, the temperature is now at 37f, and the kettle has settled in at 230-240 so far with the snake method. The temp is supposed to plummet around dark, so we shall see....

The 14# brisket went on at 3:30pm and now we wait. Once it hits 165ish, I'll wrap with the probe still in place and go to 203ish. Then I'll let the brisket IT drop to around 180 and into a pre-warmed cooler it shall go wrapped in a couple of blankets. If the temp drops below 150, I'll stick it in the oven until we leave for the 3 hour trip in to morning.... Been a LONG TIME since I held a brisket that long!

No pics right now since I'm on the work computer, but I'll get quite a few (win or fail) posted tomorrow.

Oh, the sausage will be smoked in the MES, so I know that will at least work out.

I have faith it will turn out great! Besides, it's for Memaw's birthday... happy 100th to her!

Ryan

So this all started out ok with me thinking all would be good, but I had HELL finding a brisket, and then I had to chase down the rub the bride wanted me to use, but it's all going well now it seems.

This morning I trimmed up a 14# brisket and rubbed it down with the Meat Church rub my bride loves,

IMG_5027.JPG

IMG_5028.JPG

At 4 hours in I had to try a piece... Decent ring, and amazing flavor!

IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5035.JPG

Going to wrap at 165 and pull at 203, or probe tender. Then rest to 180, into a cooler wrapped in 3 blankets, and hope all is well until noonish tomorrow!

All of the fat trimmings are now rendering down for me to pour over the top when I wrap.

more later

Where are you at for IT?
This is almost the point where I pan and foil wrap to finish in the oven.
Get it done to probe tender and lower to hold temp overnight so you get some sleep as well.
Only at 150 IT now, but you are reading my mind! This critter will probably hit the oven in a little while.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I’d be in foil and in the oven once I have that 160-ish and a ring. Much more control on the oven finish in that cold environment.

Sounds like this will be a great day no matter what happens ( but I am sure it will turn out for you ) It already look good with the sample.

Congrates to your Memaw turning 100. love the idea of hiring a food truck to do the fish fry.

Sounds like a very special day for sure. Enjoy and have some great family memories

David

Happy Birthday to her, hope she has a great day.

Nice Cranky, happy birthday to memaw! My mom just turned 90 on the 13th and my dad hits 91 at the end of the month.

Looking good! You doing memaw right! God bless her and congrats on her 100th birthday. Man just think about the changes in the world she has seen!

Jim

So, the bride's grandmother (Memaw) turns 100 years old tomorrow, and of course, there is a big gathering planned. Well, my brother in law said he would pay for a local food truck operator to come on site at the community center and do a fish fry since Memaw loves her some fried catfish.

Well, there are a few folks in the family that don't like fish and I was "voluntold" to smoke a brisket and some sausage for them. 99% of the time, I'd be all over it! But, the high today was only supposed to be 30f (-1c) with a north wind at 20-30 mph (42-48 kph). NOT great weather for me to be smoking a brisket in my WEBER KETTLE! But, when a 100 year old woman "asks" you to do it, you get busy!

Yep, I don't have any of my 3 big smokers out here at the new place! One went to NM with #2 son, nephew fell in love with the "Buzzard Burner" off set I built many years ago so it went home with him when I was moving, and the neighbor down the road bought my custom vertical I made 10-12 years back!

I have the metal to build a new smoker, but farm stuff and cows have taken up most of my time, and the kettle has been doing great for me and the bride so far. But not in cold temps and high winds.

So this morning I got the kettle arranged behind the shop (south side), rubbed the brisket, and hoped for the best. Well the wind died down to about half of what was predicted, the temperature is now at 37f, and the kettle has settled in at 230-240 so far with the snake method. The temp is supposed to plummet around dark, so we shall see....

The 14# brisket went on at 3:30pm and now we wait. Once it hits 165ish, I'll wrap with the probe still in place and go to 203ish. Then I'll let the brisket IT drop to around 180 and into a pre-warmed cooler it shall go wrapped in a couple of blankets. If the temp drops below 150, I'll stick it in the oven until we leave for the 3 hour trip in to morning.... Been a LONG TIME since I held a brisket that long!

No pics right now since I'm on the work computer, but I'll get quite a few (win or fail) posted tomorrow.

Oh, the sausage will be smoked in the MES, so I know that will at least work out.
Looking forward to seeing how the brisket turns out.

- Jason

The Grandmother's (Memaw's) 100th birthday was a MAJOR success. She had a great time, we got to see a lot of people, and I MAJORLY pissed off the guy doing the fish fry. He was only brought in to fry catfish, supply beans, hushpuppies, slaw, and potato salad. My brother in law hired him.

Memaw on the other hand "decided" that I was going to do a brisket and some sausage as well. Long story short, brisket and sausage ran out before the fish and people were asking HIM if there was more! He got a good tip though.

I only got 2 pictures since people were ready to eat and I was waiting until the last minute to slice since I had been resting the brisket for 7 hours at that point and had traveled 3 hours with it during that time.

It wasn't the best I've ever made, but it was sure up there on the list...

IMG_5040.JPG

IMG_5042.JPG

Memaw, The bride, and me smiling for a change!
IMG_5047.JPG

Thanks for following along, and I passed along all of the well wishes!

Last edited:
Going to be a great day! Loved that The LONG version of the Cranky Buzzard intro video. That music woke up my speakers!
It was a great day indeed! Great people, lots of good food, and some serious story telling!

Glad you liked the music. #1 son had a friend in college that did music for YT that you only pay him for it once and use it forever. He has since changed that sales plan, but he let me keep going with it.

Memaw looks good for a 100! And you and the bride are a good looking couple also.
that brisket looks good. The fish man will be ok….im sure he made money catering the feast.

Jim

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky