What should I have done different?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mapleguy

Original poster
Jul 7, 2018
NE Ohio
I'm pretty new to all this so I'm probably going to have several questions. So I smoked a few boneless skinless chicken breasts the other day in my electric smoker. I didn't brine them just a basic rub and had them in at 225. I was watching the temp closely and it stopped raising at around 145 after a few hours and wouldn't go any higher, even after a hour of sitting at 145....nothing. after I assumed something was wrong so I pulled them. They actually turned out pretty good, although a little over cooked and dry, but good smoke flavor. Did I do something wrong? I had the thermometer in the thickest part of the breast and I had them sitting right on the rack. Thanks in advance!!

Did your therm happen to break or stop working? Chicken breasts should be taken to 165*, and you mentioned it was on the dry side so I'm assuming that they were a bit overdone. Since poultry takes on smoke rather quickly I prefer to do them hot and fast.

Chris

I agree chicken doesn’t have much fat so you wouldn’t expect a long stall like you would see in a pork butt. I would check the thermometer.
You cans do this by boiling some water and putting the tip of the probe in the boiling water. It should read close to 212 depending on elevation. (Exact calculations for boiling water temp at elevation can be found online)
Once the probe has cooled down you can put it in some ice water that has been stirred, get the full volume at a consistent temp, and it should read close to 32 degrees.
Some analog probe can also be calibrated in this fashion. The have a nut below the dial that is movable to calibrate. Hope this helps.

I'm definitely thinking your probe is having problems. I've smoked chicken breast and it was done in about 45 minutes, and that was a boneless skinless.

I agree chicken doesn’t have much fat so you wouldn’t expect a long stall like you would see in a pork butt. I would check the thermometer.
You cans do this by boiling some water and putting the tip of the probe in the boiling water. It should read close to 212 depending on elevation. (Exact calculations for boiling water temp at elevation can be found online)
Once the probe has cooled down you can put it in some ice water that has been stirred, get the full volume at a consistent temp, and it should read close to 32 degrees.
Some analog probe can also be calibrated in this fashion. The have a nut below the dial that is movable to calibrate. Hope this helps.
Agree with you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky