Weber Performer Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

macmanjpc

Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Tottenham, Ontario, Canada
Hello all.

Couple quick questions from a guy new to Charcoal. I just bought a Weber Performer Charcoal Grill. The one that has a propane ignition system (cause I'm lazy like that ;)

This model comes with 2 char-baskets that the manual says to fill both, place over ignition flame to ignite. It then says to leave the baskets in the middle of the grill for direct heat or to push them to opposite ends of the grill for indirect heat. My question is for all the experienced charcoalers out there. Everything I've read/seen regarding using weber kettles is to ignite the charcoal (usually using a chimney) and then spreading over the grill evenly in a single layer for most effective direct heat. Sort of a contrast to the Weber manual. Do any of you use a Performer and if so what do you do? Start the charcoal in the baskets and then dump them out using tongs when ready and spread? That sounds like the best method for even heat buy not nearly as safe as dumping out a chimney starter with a couple handles? Do you not use the char-baskets to ignite when preparing for direct cooking? Are the baskets necessary for ignition on the performer? Do you just leave the baskets in the middle?

Sorry for the questions if they're silly but I can't find the answer anywhere :(

Another question, much more generic. Briquettes or Lumps? Why? Or, are there better times to you one vs. the other?

Thanks!

Jason.

I don't have the performer (yet :)) but I use the 22.5" Kettle and I won't grill without using my baskets.  Like you said, it's either they are together forming a "circle" for direct heat or separate on either sides for indirect.

Honestly, I use the indirect most of the time unless I'm doing steaks.  The I put them in the "circle" formation but in the back part of the grill.   Then I get my steaks seared directly over them before moving the steaks to the front of the grill away from the charcoals to cook to temp... with the vent on the lid over the meat to draw the heat from the coals over the meat.

I have a Performer and I just fill up the baskets as described in the book.  I let the propane burn for about 10 minutes or so and then let the coals (Kingsford blue) ash over till they are white.

I rarely do direct grilling at least for very long so I move both baskets to the same side of the grill.  

I use a Weber chimney with the bottom cone reversed.  I start it on the Performer's propane igniter.  If I'm cooking direct, I dump and spread.  For indirect, I dump the lit coals into the baskets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky