Walk-in Smokehouse in Progress

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you! I’m really excited to have it dried in so that I can continue no matter what the weather happens to be. Plus there’s lots of different things that need to be done so it keeps it interesting.

Made a little progress yesterday. All four sides are now having siding and I can start installing electrical boxes. This may sound odd but I felt like the most progress was made when I cut out the bottom plate threshold. Haha

F11C950B-7908-4911-B637-C71867564E2D.jpeg
8BB610C3-20F9-4D9D-AD5C-A28B50A0178E.jpeg
D4DF976E-BDBB-400A-8B93-0607EC3D00C2.jpeg

I’m going to wait to install the battens and trim until the very end. I still need to install the soffit, AC supports, on demand water heater, and lights, etc.

A beautiful day here in the hill country. Sunny, slight breeze, high in the low 70’s..... and I actually got a few things accomplished other than cruising the aisles of HD. This pic is the before-

C7D77F17-01DD-4E2B-BA8F-AE4400917F13.jpeg

And this is after installing the water heater. Lots of joints!
8635E4BE-6F29-47BA-907A-D244C9681B53.jpeg

I was also able to get a few light and switch boxes in.
474C061F-48B9-40DF-A043-584E356D2A56.jpeg

Now for some questions- I’m going to use the 8” diameter duct to register adapter as my inlet. I was planning on putting it in the lower corner and then put the exhaust stack at the opposing corner near the peak with a sort of vent-a-hood box I will construct. I’m enclosing the ceiling just FYI. My question is ow0uld I benefit from putting the inlet in the middle of the wall versus the corner? In my mind the smoke will travel and fill the area with the proper dampening anyways. Let me know what y’all think.

7327C0C3-1EB8-4FB5-AABD-36096D19A224.jpeg
BBB2524F-EF2F-4789-8692-BDBA4A7F41B7.jpeg

Thanks in advance for the feedback! Tommy

Cross draft is a very good idea.. also, a small computer type fan, for circulation, should help with condensate and even smoke distribution... You want less than 3 mph air velocity.. more than that can accelerate case hardening on meats..

Had another break in the weather yesterday. Was able to get the facia and roof on.
DDA0194C-21EE-42D5-9CE9-ECDC135DA591.jpeg
5B373B77-BEEF-425D-8960-F0A271C37B2A.jpeg
9F2F4CF7-328C-451C-A574-75D115CB08BC.jpeg
B947670F-74AF-4341-8724-D81514761CB3.jpeg

Next step is gutters, soffit, and trim. Then finish the interior, install the AC and Coolbot, hook up the firebox, and smoke!
I’ve had a slight delay on in getting the insulation completed due to still trying to decide on the monitoring and automation system a friend of mine is developing for me. Once that is determined I can run all the electrical wires, the rest of the insulation, and cover the walls. Been having a lot of fun and fellowship with this and can’t wait to put it to use.

Thank you! I need to start sourcing heritage breed pork bellies and hams. I have an endless supply of venison on my place I can hunt year round so have jerky, buck sticks, sausage, and such covered. Ive read that many on here have been pleased with subprimals from Costco and will begin checking them out for aging beef.

some time ago, I had thought about a walk in cooler/freezer setup.

Did you consider using double 2x4 studs offset to minimize thermal breaks, and rigid foam on/under the plates?

you should be able to get near R40 that way, and it doesn't impede vapour sealing.

nanuk- I’m not sure what you mean by “double 2x4 studs offset.” I’ve got 2x6 framing throughout and am using 5 layers of 1” rigid foam on walls and ceilings which gives me an R30 w/out the OSB and cedar siding. As far as the bottom plate I didn’t consider rigid foam underneath due to it not providing any structural integrity.

Thanks for the input and let me know about the 2x4’s, it might be something to consider on my next build.

Hill , I think he is talking about a double exterior / interior assembly . Two walls so you have an air gap in between to stop thermal transfer . Used alot in sound rated walls .

Ohhhhh. Gotcha, I figured R30 will suffice since it won’t ever be a dedicated cooler and only used for short term refrigeration. The Coolbot set up I will be running should allow me to maintain mid 30’s. By short term I’m talking a couple months at most if I decide to age beef.

Thanks for the clarification chopsaw.

Tommy

Yeah... 6 or 8" plate, with 2x4 on 16 centers inside, and 2x4 on 16 centers, but offset 8 inches so there is not wood from inside to outside at all.
as for rigid foam, that stuff is amazing. if you are going to anchor down the walls to the foundation, Styrofoam SM can handle the weight. it is being used under footings in concrete basements now and it holds up a 2 story house over a concrete basement. Tough stuff that!

With respect to vac sealed sub-primals (i.e. Costco meat) I have had many successes "wet aging" up to 6 weeks past the pull date in my spare fridge. I typically go for briskets, strip loins, and top sirloins. Only complaint I have about my local store is that they cap the tops so I never get the coulottes! I usually steak them out to my preference (1 1/4") and vacuum seal them. The meat has an aged quality about it after the extra sitting and is always tender. I don't see why you couldn't dry age them in your setup with the cooler mode. Awesome build!

Thanks! I appreciate the info and the compliment. I imagine a lot of trial and error, a fairly steep learning curve, and a lot of questions posted here!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky