UDS from Sweden

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

storslungarn

Original poster
May 9, 2016
Sweden
Hey guys. Just wanted to post my first UDS and I got it together thanks to all great tips in this forum. Pretty standard, three vents at the bottom and a Weber lid on top.

What's my pretty neat function is inside, where three vertically mounted steel shelf holders (unsure about my English..) gives me the freedom for I guess up to five levels of meat and also the possibility to rise the position of the coal basket. When I put the coal basket high up in the drum I use it as an ordinary grill. In this image below I have lit the fire with the coal basket a couple of centimeters above the bottom. Just above the coal basket I have a level of water and for this cook I needed just one level for food. Pretty handy ;-)

Reactions: pit 4 brains
Hello.  Welcome.  I see this is your first post.  Please take some time and swing over to Roll Call and introduce yourself so that we may give you a proper "Hello".  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have, and pictures help a bunch.

That's a great looking UDS.  ALWAYS good to build in options the first time whether you ever need them or not.  Much easier to do it the first time.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

That is one sweet UDS!

Your system of adjusting the grates is really cool.

Awesome build!

Swing by Roll Call, I think you will fit in here just fine!

Al

Great idea using the shelf brackets.  I often use 2 grates for the meat and being able to adjust the spacing would help a lot.  My next UDS will use that idea.  My current one has so many holes that have been plugged after trying different ideas I should probably build another.  My current setup is shown in the "Portable Digital Propane UDS" thread.  What are your favorite things to smoke and what type of wood do you use in Sweden?

Well now, since a couple of years ago, pulled pork is really fancy in Sweden. But no one do it in the right way, like you guys do. It's done in the stove or, god forbid, pressure boilers. 
I do it in the UDS and the result is awesome. I usually put some ribs in at the same time.

I use coal briquettes and a handful of whiskey smoke chips. My opinion is that the coal it selves gives taste to the meat, and it depends what briquettes you use. I find new favorites every summer... ;-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky