Tritip uncovered in fridge?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
Hi guys I know a lot of people leave steak uncovered in the fridge overnight for good results. I have a pretty big tritip to cook for tomorrow. Is that also something I should leave uncovered in the fridge overnight? And if so would you recommend leaving it uncovered and seasoned overnight or just uncovered. I usually just use SPOG on my tritips

I've done it both ways and think I prefer wrapping in plastic. It's wetter when put on the smoker so it more smoke sticks. Either will work though...

Reactions: negolien
For me, I never leave any meat uncovered in the fridge, esp. Tri's! I'll prep something that's going to get grilled shortly, that's it Otherwise, they'd be sittin in a baggie gettin all nice & happy in my marinade mix! Good Luck

Reactions: bdawg
Thanks guys. I’ll probably stick to how I’ve been doing them. Wrapped in spog for a few hours ahead of time.

Late to the party but what you are talking about with that uncovered rest is called pellicle. IMO pellicle plays a big role in bark or sear formation and also helps poultry skin texture. It was as game changer for me and learned it here. In the smoker, wet meat forms creosote. Water+smoke=creosote. It might not ruin the meat but will give it bitter, harsher flavor. On the grill, a pellicle gives meat insane sear marks. If I don't rest overnight, I have a small clip on fan and hit the meat for 10-15m to get the meat near dry to touch. Some guys will put wet meat in the smoker WITHOUT smoke for a while to dry.

I will apply some salt and rub, put on a wire rack inside a cooking sheet and uncovered in the fridge it goes. I used to cover/wrap the meat, but got to thinking about all the juice in the wrap. When I leave unwrapped, there is very little if any juice in my sheet afterwards.

I think the covering or wrap acts like a wick and keeps the liquid on the surface or drip off rather than get pulled back into the meat. Yeah, there may be a little evaporation going on, but I think you save the juice more so with leaving unwrapped. I will put on my bottom shelf in my spare fridge, to. keep things clean. YMMV.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky