Stuffed Flank Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
Well, as promised, here is my take on a stuffed flank steak!

Life tried to get in the way when our bee keeper got stuck in the pasture and had to leave his truck overnight, but I got busy after we got him out today. I didn't get any pictures of the butterflied steak, or the toppings on it before I rolled, but I blame that on Ranch Water. :emoji_sunglasses:

I did get some shots of the veggies being prepped though.
IMG_5135.JPG

I sliced and sauteed a whole red onion

IMG_5136.JPG

2 portabella mushrooms

IMG_5140.JPG

and a whole bag of baby spinach. Oh remember that beef tallow, all veggies were sauteed in that. The veggies and feta cheese are the filling.

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_5146.JPG

All rolled up and ready for the grill. My rotisserie motor took a crap yesterday, so just grilling it tonight. Seasoned inside and out with garlic pepper- and the smoke will be mesquite. Sliced shots later this evening.

Oh my! That’s extra effort. Just don’t over cook that flank. Keep that IT rare to medium rare and you will be rewarded.

NOT my best photography, but definitely one of the better meals i've grilled in a while. Even the bride approved. While I didn't get the pinwheel look I wanted, the flavors were there for sure. Next time I'll pound it out a bit, and there will be a next time, I bought 2 steaks yesterday!

IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_5159.JPG

Things I would do different.
Pound it out for a more even surface and to get a better pinwheel effect.
Season inside and out a bit heavier
Considering marinating the steak overnight, but prior to butterflying
Possibly blue cheese in place of feta

Overall, this was great and it WILL be done again.

NOT my best photography, but definitely one of the better meals i've grilled in a while. Even the bride approved. While I didn't get the pinwheel look I wanted, the flavors were there for sure. Next time I'll pound it out a bit, and there will be a next time, I bought 2 steaks yesterday!

View attachment 687827
View attachment 687828

Things I would do different.
Pound it out for a more even surface and to get a better pinwheel effect.
Season inside and out a bit heavier
Considering marinating the steak overnight, but prior to butterflying
Possibly blue cheese in place of feta

Overall, this was great and it WILL be done again.
Looks excellent. This is why, exactly, I search for thicker ones and butterfly them. This thins them out, but what you have made is excellent. Nice work.

Reactions: crankybuzzard
I like the looks of that - looks tasty

Point for sure
Chris

That looks incredible!!! Man I could use a slice right now!!

Great cook!

Thanks all, it was great Sunday night, but ROCKED today for lunch. I had several people ask me what was in the microwave while warming it up.

Looking forward to the next one.

Uh yeah I'm trying that. Can get a good deal on a skirt at Aldi here (I know but last one I got was good). Unless you wanna send the other half up here. 🤣

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky