Reverse Seared Bavette

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ishi

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 30, 2018
After working my retirement part time job at the locker I’ve learned some of the many different cuts of meat. When my beef was butchered my son-in-law suggested the Bavette and sure why not.
The Bavette is the top part of the flank. Very few customers save them so they get ground up into burger.
The Bavette was seasoned with Sea Salted and BP and sat in the fridge for two days uncovered.
IMG_6935.jpeg

The YS640 was set at 200 degrees and a smoke tube was added with mesquite pellets and smoked for 3 hours.

IMG_6936.jpeg

IMG_6938.jpeg

Side note here after winning 2nd place in the judges choice Labor Day TD Robert said I could pick something other than the Inkbird probe. So I was in need of a fast meat probe so I picked the Therm Pro Lighting and it’s crazy fast plus as a lefty the readout will change so it’s not upside down!
IMG_6937.jpeg

Once the Yoder and grill grates achieved temps the Bavette was seared until it reached 145 degrees and let her rest for several minutes.
IMG_6939.jpeg

Mrs made mashed potatoes and corn and this was money.
IMG_6940.jpeg

This cut has a looser gain than a normal steak. Next beef is getting butchered in a few months and I’ll get this cut again.
IMG_6942.jpeg

Bavette, also known as flap steak, is very flavorful. And it looks like you did a great job on cooking it.
But like skirt steak, the grain tends to run along the short dimension. So it's best to first cut along the short dimension into several pieces and then rotate them to cut against the grain.

Bavette is a great cut. Very loose grain, render, juicy, and just super flavorful. You certainly did that one justice. Looks fantastic and a really good looking plate. Nice job all around.
So I was in need of a fast meat probe so I picked the Therm Pro Lighting
WOW!! That is so cool that you won something that is truly useful to you. So great to see the good people here making use of their TD prizes. Thanks so much for putting that little blurb in there.

Robert

Bavette, also known as flap steak, is very flavorful. And it looks like you did a great job on cooking it.
But like skirt steak, the grain tends to run along the short dimension. So it's best to first cut along the short dimension into several pieces and then rotate them to cut against the grain.
Agreed! After cutting it and once it was on the plate I knew I messed up. The next night I cut the leftovers the right way and makes a big difference

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
I thought that was the case. Very flavorful indeed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky