Torch searing question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
Question for those that use a torch for searing after sous vide.
What do you do the sear on or in? I used the torch for the first time tonight. Usually use the grill, but didn't feel like going outside to start the grill (and the patio is covered in duck poop).
I did it in a Pyrex, but I'm already in the dog house for breaking our ceramic crock pot this last week. If I broke the Pyrex tonight...
It turned out fine, but I did feel limited by being worried about the pyrex.

What do you sear on/in when inside?

Did a couple of rump roasts, 132 for 4 hours then seared. Served with a parsley and garlic chimichuri/vinaigrette.
PXL_20240104_022134705.jpg

Didn't even consider the cast iron.lol.
As silly as it sounds, I don't have a roasting pan with rack and mine are enormous and too deep. I'll add this to reasons why we need a regular roasting pan.
Thanks guys!

Reactions: JLeonard and DougE
Didn't even consider the cast iron.lol.
As silly as it sounds, I don't have a roasting pan with rack and mine are enormous and too deep. I'll add this to reasons why we need a regular roasting pan.
Thanks guys!
I'll shoot a pic of what I use tomorrow. It's in the barn kitchen where I do most of my cooking.

Reactions: JLeonard
Absolutely, positively, DO NOT TORCH IN PYREX. Pyrex includes the warning not to move from freezer to oven, as it cannot safely handle the temperature shift. What kind of shift in temperature is your torch flame imposing? Yeah, lots more. A metal pan or sheet, optionally with a wire grate is the proper material.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky