TONY'S SMOKED HAM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Maybe you could take it's Temp a few times when you do that next one, because some of us might like to know what the IT is.
We don't cook to time or color---Only Internal Temp. (On most things)

Thanks,
Bear
Bear, I will do that for sure. I have not cooked this in 2 years and that was prior to my membership to the forum. Since I joined 1/1/2019, I have learned the importance of IT. I am a better smoker because of the forum. Love this and I am addicted to learning more even though I have been a smoker for many years. You can always teach an old dog new tricks!!

I am not questioning how good your Ham is. Im just curious about the IT and the texture as well.
I NEVER heat, by any method, Ham above 150°F. The texture stays super moist, uniform, tight and firm like fresh sliced lunch meat ham, only Hot.
Mom baked hams until well done, 165° or higher. They were tasty enough, not really low moisture dry, but somewhat texturally dry and Stringy, like Chicken Breast meat in Soup. The Brown Sugar, Pineapple and Cherry Sauce made up for the moisture, but it was just plain Overcooked!
At 225, a Ham in the 10 to 15 pound range should get to 145 in 5-6 hours tops. How many pounds are your Hams? 9+ hours at 225 is a lot of cookin'...JJ

Reactions: chopsaw
Bear, I will do that for sure. I have not cooked this in 2 years and that was prior to my membership to the forum. Since I joined 1/1/2019, I have learned the importance of IT. I am a better smoker because of the forum. Love this and I am addicted to learning more even though I have been a smoker for many years. You can always teach an old dog new tricks!!

Yup---I understand that.
I got my start here, with only Grilling under my Belt.
I couldn't do much Smoking without Temps.
I like my Ham to be between 145° and 150° IT.

Thank You Much!

Bear

I am not questioning how good your Ham is. Im just curious about the IT and the texture as well.
I NEVER heat, by any method, Ham above 150°F. The texture stays super moist, uniform, tight and firm like fresh sliced lunch meat ham, only Hot.
Mom baked hams until well done, 165° or higher. They were tasty enough, not really low moisture dry, but somewhat texturally dry and Stringy, like Chicken Breast meat in Soup. The Brown Sugar, Pineapple and Cherry Sauce made up for the moisture, but it was just plain Overcooked!
At 225, a Ham in the 10 to 15 pound range should get to 145 in 5-6 hours tops. How many pounds are your Hams? 9+ hours at 225 is a lot of cookin'...JJ
It’s always good. On the next one I’ll check the IT.

I’m going to do this ham tomorrow. It sounds simple and good. Tony I will let you know how it comes out. I’ve never injected a ham before.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky