TONY'S SMOKED HAM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Hello fellow smokers. I wanted to share my smoked ham recipe that I have have been doing for several years. Tried many ways but this one is my favorite! Friends and family always request that I do one for them. Try to follow it as close as you can. She won't be pretty but the taste and flavor is amazing.

TONY’S SMOKED HAM

1) Quality bone in, water added, WHOLE ham.

2) Score the ham. Not to deep.

3) Smoke 3 hours at no more than 225 degrees.

4) Mix 2 boxes of brown sugar with pineapple juice and FRESH dried cloves. Heat mixture slowly until it blends well. About 15 minutes.

5) Remove the ham from smoker and inject your mixture. Take the additional leftover mixture and baste over the ham.

6) Take an additional box of brown sugar and massage all over the ham.

7) Wrap the ham in HEAVY foil and place back on the smoker for an additional 3 hours. DO NOT EXCEED 225 DEGREES.

8) Remove ham, place in roasting pan. Massage the ham with another box of brown sugar. Then add ¼ cup of CocaCola, ¼ cup of Pineapple juice and ¼ cup of Apple juice to the pan.

9) Cover your pan as air tight as you can in HEAVY foil and place back on the smoker.

10) Get the smoker at 210 degrees. And maintain that temp for 3 hours. After 3 hours @ 210 let the smoker naturally cool down to 100 degrees. This will vary according to your own smoker.

11) Remove and let stand until cool.

12) Don’t freak out when you see how ugly and dark it is. Trust me, the outside is NOT burned. It will be juicy, tender and the aroma is to die for.

13) Slice and enjoy!!

So this is a fully cooked ham when you start right?
That is a very unique way to smoke a ham, but I'm going to bookmark this for later use!
Thanks for posting it!
Al

I can honestly say I've never heard of cooking a ham this way. Sounds interesting. I need to make sure I'm reading this correctly.

9 hours total cooking time, plus a resting period on the smoker while the ham is cooling down to 100*?
4 boxes of brown sugar - isn't that like 4 pounds?

Next time you make one please post it up. I'm curious on this one.

Chris

I can honestly say I've never heard of cooking a ham this way. Sounds interesting. I need to make sure I'm reading this correctly.

9 hours total cooking time, plus a resting period on the smoker while the ham is cooling down to 100*?
4 boxes of brown sugar - isn't that like 4 pounds?

Next time you make one please post it up. I'm curious on this one.

Chris
You are correct. Gonna do one soon and I will post pics of the entire cook line by line.

Sounds great.
What size "Box" of Brown sugar?
Last time I asked the wife to get brown sugar she totted home a 6 pound bag. :emoji_heart_eyes:
(Most of what I get around here is in plastic bags...)

Sounds great.
What size "Box" of Brown sugar?
Last time I asked the wife to get brown sugar she totted home a 6 pound bag. :emoji_heart_eyes:
(Most of what I get around here is in plastic bags...)
HAHAHA! use 1 pound boxes or you can use the 2 pound bag and split.

Per the previous post, don't freak out when you see the finished product. It will be very dark but it is not burned in any way! Just tender, moist and tremendous flavor.

Never worried bout the IT. Just let it roll. Always juicy and done.

Maybe you could take it's Temp a few times when you do that next one, because some of us might like to know what the IT is.
We don't cook to time or color---Only Internal Temp. (On most things)

Thanks,
Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky