Fricken Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice looking ham Spook, I see they are sold at three different markets within two miles of my home. I'll make a point of picking up a couple to double smoke on the Weber, I usually go with fresh pineapple and grade A pure maple syrup to a IT of 145º. There's not a clove in my house, never will be, can't stand them. RAY

Reactions: Retired Spook
Here's a retail locater if you're interested .
Never heard of these hams, but I put my zip code in, and pow... they're in every food lion and most walmarts around me. Gonna see if I can find one later today.

I just sliced some up and fried it with an egg and the smell of that hickory smoked pineapple-brown sugar glazed ham frying is so good that I am SURE that is what Heaven smells like.

I can't say enough good about this ham - it sure is good.

Last edited:
HEB had the bone in for $2 lb. Picked one up.
I've only had their Carver Ham (not exactly sure where on the hog the cut comes from) but it is boneless, and delicious! I am sure the bone-in will be just as good!

Picked up a couple at Walmart on the way home from work. $4.66 per pound for the Carver ham.
Will be sometime after Thanksgiving but I'll let you know when we give em a try.

This vid describes where all the different Frick's hams come from on a hog. That carver ham is the best in my humble opinion.

Reactions: chopsaw
I watched that yesterday . Good video .
I just got back from a run to the grocery store . Planning on grabbing a Carver , but they were out .
They had the sliced ham , turkey legs and wings ,
And ,
20231121_083556.jpg
Grabbed a chub of the Bologna .
20231121_090510.jpg
They had carvers in the same section that were the store brands " signature series " I'm guessing they are made by Fricks for the store . I'll have to find out .
Oh they also had the ham steaks . I get those when they're on sale .
I actually re-salt them and hold for a week . Then rinse and re-smoke .
Good stuff .

I watched that yesterday . Good video .
I just got back from a run to the grocery store . Planning on grabbing a Carver , but they were out .
They had the sliced ham , turkey legs and wings ,
And ,
View attachment 681548
Grabbed a chub of the Bologna .
View attachment 681549
They had carvers in the same section that were the store brands " signature series " I'm guessing they are made by Fricks for the store . I'll have to find out .
Oh they also had the ham steaks . I get those when they're on sale .
I actually re-salt them and hold for a week . Then rinse and re-smoke .
Good stuff .
HEB must have a deal with Frick's too because they put their label on them but there is a Frick's label too.

Frick's also makes a Braunschweiger that I fricken love. With some sliced onions and Gulden's spicy brown mustard on some good rye bread - I am in heaven!!!

Good stuff for sure!

Last edited:
Frick's also makes a Braunschweiger that I fricken love.
Yup . Right next to that chub I bought . Last time I had it , I ate half of it when I opened it . So good I couldn't stop . Lol .

I spread it on Rye krisp crackers with mustard and chopped onion . Gonna have to call my Son and have him bring some home !!

Hey Chop, look at the pkgs carefully. There should be a meat plant number, sometimes in the USDA seal. P-xxx or what ever. If the store brand was also made by Fricks, it will have the same plant number. The store people might tell you anything to avoid saying " I don't know ". Some folks are just that way.

Will do . I did look at it for something the same , but without my glasses and not knowing what to look for . Thanks .
The HEB branded version actually has a Frick's label on it - you know, HEB trying to take credit for what Frick's does. Ya gotta love business graduates...

This store I shop at has " buy local " sections . Another good Missouri based product is Burgers Smokehouse . Great hams and bacon . I'm thinking that's where they get these small hams . Package is exactly the same , but I'll have to check the label with Rick's info .

They also have a smoker on sight . They do ribs and chicken . Double smoked hams .

I just got back from HEB and darned if their add-branded Frick's carver hams are not "uncured..."

This uncured horse excrement cracks me up because if you read the ingredients on all of these "uncured" products you will see the magic words: CELERY POWDER.

This from WebMD:

Result of Foods “Without” Nitrates​

Many supermarkets offer organic, nitrate-free alternatives to processed meats. But the companies behind these products must still preserve their processed meats. They do this by using celery powder.

It’s still sodium nitrate. By definition, the use of celery powder in place of chemically processed sodium nitrate makes the product organic. But this doesn’t mean that the organic hot dogs on your grocer’s shelves contain any less sodium nitrate. It’s still used by your body and can become nitrosamines just as easily as a chemically processed sodium nitrate.
But, "uncured" makes all the sissies we have in this Godforsaken Country, happy...

Nevertheless, it is still killer ham - get it :emoji_laughing:

Almost forgot to mention... I bought some Frick's Braunschweiger (NOT add-branded and NOT "uncured"), and some Delba German rye and an onion (I already have the Gulden's spicy brown) and I am going to chow down in a little bit!

• Love
Bought a small Frick's Hickory Smoked Carver Ham at HEB (the best ham made in my humble opinion) and decided to doctor it up with some cloves, fresh pineapple and Maraschino cherries...
View attachment 681395
Glazed with pineapple juice, dark brown sugar and honey.
View attachment 681396

Came out Fricken awesome!
View attachment 681397

If you have not tried one of these hams I encourage you to - they are the real McCoy not factory ham and they taste great! Sliced paper thin and fried with an egg for breakfast will knock your socks off, and a paper thin sliced carver ham and Swiss sandwich is magic.
View attachment 681398

The End

Now to clean that pan. Actually it is half water so it will not be that bad, but still a chore... 😳
I saw your write-up on this brand of ham. Went and got one. It was very good. Thanks for the write-up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky