Time sensitive pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SummerTus

Original poster
Dec 9, 2017
Hi, I feel really silly right now but need some quick advice. I'm six hours into my first pork butt smoke in my electric smoker. The recipe I'm following said to start spraying the butt with Apple juice five hours in but I completely forgot to buy apple juice and don't have apple anything in the house (my husband is at work with the car so I can't run to the store). My pork looks really dark on the outside already and I'm worried about it drying out. Is there something else I can spray my pork with? Should I wrap it in foil? I'm panicking a little and really hoping someone is awake right now. Help!!

No worries... Pork butts are very forgiving with fat ratio of around 20 percent. Spraying with apple juice is just a preference and doesnt add any moisture to the meat. collagens start breaking down at 160 degrees. I foil pan then foil at 160 and take to 205 IT to pull. you can just cook to 205 to pull without panning or foiling but its good to place a pan under the butt to catch the juices so you can add back to the pork for moisture.

Boykjo

Reactions: SummerTus
No worries... Pork butts are very forgiving with fat ratio of around 20 percent. Spraying with apple juice is just a preference and doesnt add any moisture to the meat. collagens start breaking down at 160 degrees. I foil pan then foil at 160 and take to 205 IT to pull. you can just cook to 205 to pull without panning or foiling but its good to place a pan under the butt to catch the juices so you can add back to the pork for moisture.

Boykjo

Thank you so much. I was worried. My butt is now wrapped in foil. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky