The Great Blizzard of '09

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the dude abides

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 12, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Only snapped this one picture, but man oh man did this one hit us hard. We got 15" of snow, followed by 50 mph winds for most of the day. I've been through 4 tanks of gas in the snow blower in the last two days. I can't tell how you how many idiots we've had to push in their cars. The city is spending all their time on the main roads and not even touching the residential streets yet. Can't wait til they do, I'll have a 20' drift from the plow at the end of the driveway. Kid's school has already been cancelled for the 2nd day in a row. We about had to kill them today. LOL

Here's my poor smoker and kettle. Grabbed this while I was trying to clear a spot for the dog to do her thing.

ry%3D400

Just for reference, here's a similar angle from a summer shot. That pot on the left. You can't see it now. It's completely buried.
ry%3D400

Oh it's 8:10 pm and the temp is 4* with a -15* wind chill. At least the winds have settled down a bit

After living in Northern Wisconsin for 10 years I don't envy you. I now hate snow.
mad.gif

That is quite the picture, it explains it all without a word. Stay indoors if possible and just ride it out. Good luck my friend.

So I guess you really don't want to hear we were in the 70's today but we did get some nasty rain
biggrin.gif

Dang Dude, that same storm hit us bad too, we got almost an inch out of it...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Dang dude.Wish i was your kid.Used to love it in Alaska,but them buggers up dere had it figured out-never had a snow day in 4 years as a kid.

Man we had fun though..........

29 degrees, 25mph wind and clear skies...going to get a little cooler tonight.

I sure am glad that one missed us up here in ND. We just got a dusting. Glad I made it home from Missouri last week. We had enough snow last winter.

That is exactly why I moved from Northern Illinois down here to Eastern North Carolina. Too friggen cold up there. It was 72 here in Wilmington today. I don't envy you at all. Good luck .

That bites, Dude...reminds me of last spring here.

Not much white junk on the ground here yet, but it has been plenty cold and windy. Hit -21*F lastnight......my '08 515 HP Detroit diesel was anything but happy when I turned the key to fire it up this morning, even with the block heater plugged in.

Don't fret too bad over the kids, if they want a couple bucks in their pockets, you can hand 'em a shovel and they'll hit the neighborhood for the day...that's what mine do...keeps 'em busy while they're not in school.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Take care & stay warm, my friend!

Eric

You guys sure did get pounded . Around here we got 3" -4" but the wind sure moved that around.I grew up farming then got into construction so winter meant fun (frozen ground) and summer meant work,so we learned to have fun in the winter. So if you can't go out barefoot might as well have some snow to play with.IT won't last long hang in there Dude.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Out local news channel has been touting this as the biggest storm of the season...so far all we got is a bunch of rain this morning and an inch of snow tonight....and some wicked wind. But so far it looks like a bunch of hot air, well cold maybe.

Up here in the big Wide Open Spaces...formally known as Wyoming we got it pretty bad also....steady temps in the negatives..todays high was 3 degrees lows in the -30's or so....I luv this stuff
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Been thru a few of 'em myself in NNY with lake effect...

Outside of Oswego heading towards Pulaski:

Tug Hill/Barnes Corners:

After 46 years of it, finally moved to Texas - ya don't have to shovel Sunshine!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky