Supreme court Ruled

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I live in Northern VA very close to DC and the ironic thing is that crimes involving handguns have gone up since 1976 when the ban was put in place.

Over here in VA where there is no ban we have gun related crimes but not the nightly shootings that take place in DC. While it was close the court's rulling was correct and DC ban is living proof they do not work.

Naw-the arthritis is acting up in the left hand, hard to get the fingers to co-operate.
cool.gif

When I first read this decision I was elated. Then I read the dissenting opinions by Stevens and Breyer and I was shocked and saddened. How could the highest court in the land have 4 justices who disagree with a right that is so fundamental, so basic, to who we are as Americans and people?

This decision clearly shows that as important as this right is to all Americans, it is not so clear cut as we gun owners would like to believe. I've read everything I can find on both the pro and con sides of this debate. And I believe that the Framers intended for us to have the right to protect ourselves, initially from the sovereign and now from criminals.

Rejoice in this decision but don't get cocky. We won a very narrow victory today but now, more than ever, we need to maintain our vigilence. There are two presidential candidates. One is firmly pro-gun, the other clearly anti-gun. This one promises change you can believe in.

The Second Amendment has served us well for over 200 years. It is the amendament that guarantees the others. Can we collectively afford "change" when it impacts our personal safety and the lives of our loved ones? We should all be worried and vote accordingly.

Wow by 1 vote that was close ! But it don't matter if you win by a inch or a mile as long as you win . GOD BLESS AMERICA.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I too, have a nice size collection of firearms.... Most all are practical.. for hunting, shooting trap, home protection, target shooting. My children are trained. I have gun safety practices in place in my home and when handling them. I feel if you are a law abiding citizen, follow the gun safety rules taught to you by an elder family member or a firearms instructor, it should be ALMOST required you have one....

I also feel if you are irresponsible enough to commit and be convicted by a jury of your peers for a felony, you have forfieted this right.

with all that said...

weather it be pried from cold dead fingers or i have used my entire stock pile of ammo and i am in cuffs.... if my guns are threatened - i'll wave to ya towards the news copter - cause I'll be on the news.....

Maryland is tough on the CWP... really hard to get ..... Florida was easy... short class... finger prints ... photo... looks just like a drivers liscense....

It was a narrow win , too close in my books. We are just one SCOTUS appointee away from haveing that challenged and reversed .
Presidents come and go , but we accumulate justices for the rest of thier life
wink.gif

Happy day , we won an important battle
biggrin.gif
They were clear and specific to the case in front of them , many more should follow . This war will last a long time , at least into your grandchildrens lifes.
Chicago is next on the hit list , took about 15 min from the SCOTUS ruling for the papers to get filed
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

http://disarmamerica.blogspot.com/20...ation-has.html

Thanks Placebo for including that link. Love to see it out there. I tell every vet I meet that I love my freedom. They fought for us to have it and I continue to fight for it till it is time for the next generation to take over. Glad to know the G men aren't coming for my guns anytime soon.

was a great day today for firearms owner and folks that want to own firearms in D.C.
it is still an up hill battle to gain the ground back that was taken from us by the two terms of the past president and his wife.
I believe a lot of folks do not really realize what happened to the whole picture of firearms and related items during that admin.
most might think the magazine ban and limiting round capacity to a weapon.
It goes a lot farther. One example would be the import of a u.s. manufactured firearm. since the u.s. had a lendlease with a lot of other countrys, you would have to prove it was not a lend lease to be able to bring it in to the U.S. even if it is a colt single action revolver or a winchester .22 cal rim fire.
1st step would be calling the state department in the us. next would be the country to export the firearm..not going to happen..
any how,glad something has gone right.

Here in TX we have CHL's (concealed handgun license), but thousands are not happy with that. Within a week more than 10,000 have signed a petition to make TX an open carry state.

See the vid here for more info or you can even sign the petition if your one of the states listed: http://www.opencarry.org/

Might consider a Commander sized for your CCW. I've used a Colt Cmdr as my daily carry in an IWB holster for several years just fine. Not a big guy, just big belly
biggrin.gif

It was no surprise to see the usual suspects voting the way they did. As far as I'm concerned 5, of the Justices
correctly interpreted the Constitution's 2nd Amendment. The other 4 seem stuck in partisanship ideology, rather than upholding the Law of the land.

Having voted for Bush, I have not been too thrilled with some of his decisions, but his SC picks brought it all home with the Heller decision. Had a "D" president been in office, we'd be reacting in a different way today.

Its like $55 now for an original application, then $32 to renew. Permit is good for 5 years. I've heard varying reports as far as turnaround time, with Pierce and King cnty being the worst, with them taking the full 30 days to issue. Here, it took me 9 days to get. Despite being a "blue" state, yes WA is fairly painless as far as CPL's go.

MOLON LABE!

CCW here is still fairly easy here in shasta county even though we are in california. our sherrif hands them out like he is a pez dispensor as long as you take the class, pass the background check and pay the permit money.
8fb710ec_vbattach19009.jpg

I currently have both an Oregon and Washington CHL. The CCW or CHL you want to get is Utah's. It is accepted on over 30 other states and is as close as we currently have to a national CHL. Check out this link for some better info: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Shoot straight, stay safe!

I wish OR wasn't so stingy with their Non-resident licenses. Pain in the rear to have to disarm and lock it up before crossing over the stateline.

UT would be a good one to have, but IMO, better and possible easier to get a FL or TX nonres.

I would think you'd get by with the 'peaceable journey' laws most states have. Don't have to lock it up, but it can't be concealed. I very well could be wrong though.

Can't seem to find any statute for OR for peaceable journey, and maybe someone from OR could clarify, but from my understading, one cannot carry concealed, without a recognized CPL, however one can open carry, including in a motor vehicle.

Would need to clarify, the definition of open carry, and the % of the pistol that needs to be visible. Another issue seems to be with cities preempting state law, ie Portland. So again, if it would be lawful to open carry in my vehicle, what happens as I get to an area that preempts it?

Mr Porky- Oregon does have a "peaceable journey" statute although it's not called that.

Oregon Revised Statute, 166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms (2) This section does not prohibit:(B) Temporarily for hunting, target practice or any other lawful purpose;(b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state.

Interestingly, Open Carry is not prohibited by law: "(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section". So strap on them six-shooters and come on down!! You can even lawfully carry a hand gun openly into a bank!!

Here is the Oregon Statute that pertains to gun licensing and concealed carry. We CHL's in Oregon spend a lot of time debating this statute!
http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

Finally, even as screwed up as this beautiful state is there are no barriers to out-of-staters getting a CHL once they pass the same licensing requirements as Oregon residents.

166.291 Issuance of concealed handgun license; application; fees; liability. (1) The sheriff of a county, upon a person’s application for an Oregon concealed handgun license, upon receipt of the appropriate fees and after compliance with the procedures set out in this section, shall issue the person a concealed handgun license if the person: (emphasis added)

(a)(A) Is a citizen of the United States; or
(B) Is a legal resident alien who can document continuous residency in the county for at least six months.

Oregon is a "shall issue" state meaning the government can't restrict your right to a CHL if you meet the requirements. The Sheriff must issue you a CHL. The statute is silent on reciprocity so having a WA CHL may not get you anywhere with Oregon except I hear they will wave the training requirement if you have WA's CHL.

I'm no lawyer but if you have further questions I can direct you to people at another forum who are far more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am.

Thanks BB, appreciate your post. State law language can be a pain to figure out, and I don't wanna become a test case
biggrin.gif

I have learned over the years that despite being a Shall Issue state, some sheriff's esp Multnomah area do not like giving any out to Non Residents. IIRC correctly, they want to see some type of business reason, rather than something like "I'd like to have one so I can CC while driving I 84 to Vancouver to visit family." I do hear that some Sheriff's on the East side are more accomodating

It sure would be nice if OR and WA had a reciprocacy deal, as it would sure make things alot easier.

Again, thanks for your post.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky