Supreme court Ruled

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blacklab

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 12, 2008
Battleground Wa
Upholding 2nd amendment
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

<h1>Supreme Court Rules That Individuals Have Gun Rights

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: June 26, 2008
Filed at 10:16 a.m. ET
Related

Court Weighs Right to Guns, and Its Limits (March 19)
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court says Americans have a right to own guns for self-defense and hunting, the justices' first major pronouncement on gun rights in U.S. history.
The court's 5-4 ruling strikes down the District of Columbia's 32-year-old ban on handguns as incompatible with gun rights under the Second Amendment. The decision goes further than even the Bush administration wanted, but probably leaves most firearms laws intact.
The court had not conclusively interpreted the Second Amendment since its ratification in 1791. The amendment reads: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
The basic issue for the justices was whether the amendment protects an individual's right to own guns no matter what, or whether that right is somehow tied to service in a state militia.

</h1>

I am no constitutional scholar but from what I have read and being married to a history major. I think that the Supreme Court made the correct decision. I also feel that it is nice to know that we have the right to challenge it. I own guns, I hunt, fish, and also will shoot anyone who comes into my house and threatens my family. We live in a wonderful country!!!!

No problem.
I'm just very happy they ruled this way. I have lots of guns... :)
Most of them I just use for making little holes in paper as close together as possible :)

Great news now lets get going with a national concealed weapons permit instead of leaving it up to each state

Works for me.
I'm looking to get one here in the future sometime. Just don't know when yet.
My Kimber Custom II is a bit big, I'll probably look for a smaller .45 or maybe go to a .40

like piney says about nationwide c/c, and its not like they ruled on something we didnt already know.... more political bantering to try and get a foothold to undermine our constitutional rights. whats bad is it was a 5-4 vote, so people.... realize that we were a single vote of possible major lifestyle changes when it comes to firearms. that is too close a vote for something that is constituionaly already on the books!!!!

By all means that is the scary part. One more vote and who knows what we would be facing now. Having grown up with a grandfather who is a gunsmith, I am grateful for this ruling. Now I think I will go clean my guns!

A .40 isn't a bad option at all for personal protection.

That was my thoughts also when I read that, seems only a matter of time given the direction we are currently headed. Scary stuff.

The following was posted by fellow member, "Sheepdog" in the, "how did you come up with your screenname" thread so credit is due to him for this great read. I reposted the link here because I think it really fits this topic well.

Big thanks to Sheepdog for the link!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

http://www.blackwaterusa.com/btw2004...0726sheep.html

Upheld by one vote. I do not like Mccain but his judge appointments will be important. Nobama judges appointments would very bad. If people think elections do not matter this should wake them up. the next pres. will most likely appoint 2 judges to the Supreme Court in his term

LOLOLOL.........great post BnJ.........though once again, i spit my beverage all over the computer screen laffing so hard............hehehe

They can have them, LEAD FIRST!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Pretty lucky and scary in Wa ST CWP's are easy to get. Fill out ap pay $35 pass background check and it's in the mail. Price might have changed from 10 years ago but it's still painless
biggrin.gif

This is great news and it is a ruling that should have been made a long time ago.

So far this thread has been polite conversation but it still has the potential to head off into a political mine field.

Keep it friendly, keep it polite and we will keep this thread open. Any political bashing of the Supreme Courts decsion will result in this thread being locked down and deleted by myself , one of the other moderators or by Tulsa Jeff.

Enjoy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky