Kippered Venison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
Loving this easy-to-do kippered style jerky. Easier on the choppers also.
Venison this time.
IMG_1005.jpeg

3.5lbs cut 1/4” thick
IMG_1006.jpeg

3 1/2 Tbls Tenderquick
5 Tbls Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
Bagged and fridge for 7 days
Massage and rotate twice per day.

IMG_1008.jpeg
MES 40 heated 250* and backed down to 120* while placing on racks lower lightly peppered.
IMG_1018.jpeg

LJ Supreme pellets, Row and a half in tray
2 hrs at 120* then slowly bumped temp until got to 170*.
About 6.5 hrs got the texture I was after and shut’r down.
Turned out pretty good, thought with the extra Brown Sugar it would have a little sweeter taste, but didn’t make much difference. Looking for additional flavor enhancers for next batch.
IMG_1023.jpeg

Looks great . I like that style myself . Breaking down a beef knuckle sometime this week , gonna see about doing some .
thought with the extra Brown Sugar it would have a little sweeter taste, but didn’t make much difference. Looking for additional flavor enhancers for next batch
Think about honey or maple syrup . Warm it up and brush it on at the end of the cook .
Mike's hot honey works good if you want some sweet heat .

I just made some pepperoni , and used some of the mix to make ground pepperoni jerky .
It's really good , so maybe a pepperoni profile . Using Tender quick makes it easy to add flavor .

Great color on yours . Nice work .

Looks really good! Might have to give that a try as well! Must be a good jerky week... I've made two kinds and wife has had 2 dehydrators going since yesterday on a third kind.

Ryan

Reactions: Winterrider
That looks tasty! I'm betting that is a nice change from all the traditional sweet items out right now.... I know I had to break into a back of jerky the other day....just too much sweet around.

Loving this easy-to-do kippered style jerky. Easier on the choppers also.
Venison this time.
View attachment 682388
3.5lbs cut 1/4” thick
View attachment 682387
3 1/2 Tbls Tenderquick
5 Tbls Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
Bagged and fridge for 7 days
Massage and rotate twice per day.

View attachment 682389MES 40 heated 250* and backed down to 120* while placing on racks lower lightly peppered.
View attachment 682392
LJ Supreme pellets, Row and a half in tray
2 hrs at 120* then slowly bumped temp until got to 170*.
About 6.5 hrs got the texture I was after and shut’r down.
Turned out pretty good, thought with the extra Brown Sugar it would have a little sweeter taste, but didn’t make much difference. Looking for additional flavor enhancers for next batch.View attachment 682393
That looks great, fantastic job!! :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky