Kippered goose

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
I'm piggy backing off a previous thread from chopsaw chopsaw
Have been playing around trying to find something different to do with the geese we have been fortunate to get, and came across this and thought it was worth a shot.
Started with 3lbs of goose breast.
IMG_0942.jpg

3 Tbls Tender quick
3 Tbls Brown Sugar
Course black pepper
Forgot to get sliced pic but were cut about 1/4" thick.
Bagged and ready for cure process.
IMG_0943.jpg

Went 8 days (timing issue) with these massaging and rotating twice a day.
Placed on racks and fridge overnight.
IMG_0950.jpg

Racks out to allow meat to come to warm a bit.
MES 40 burned off and settled back in at 110° with a half tray of LJ Supreme Pellets.
4 hrs a @ 110° , then bumped to 160°. Ran that for 2 hrs and bumped to 170° for 2hrs. Couple of the thicker pieces I could temp were 147°.
Took piece out and let cool and opened a piece up. Liked the texture so shut it down and cooled naturally.
IMG_0952.jpg

Was very satisfied with the way this turned out, will definitely do again. Want to thank Rich for posting his up and the help corresponding with him.

My goodness . Wade , that's fantastic . Absolutely perfect . Great color too .
You did that Goose proud buddy .
I'm happy you tried this , and appreciate the convo . Anytime bud .
Thanks Rich, got some venison that I might do up also.

SmokinEdge SmokinEdge , thanks appreciate that.

I'm piggy backing off a previous thread from chopsaw chopsaw
Have been playing around trying to find something different to do with the geese we have been fortunate to get, and came across this and thought it was worth a shot.
Started with 3lbs of goose breast.
View attachment 679323
3 Tbls Tender quick
3 Tbls Brown Sugar
Course black pepper
Forgot to get sliced pic but were cut about 1/4" thick.
Bagged and ready for cure process.
View attachment 679324
Went 8 days (timing issue) with these massaging and rotating twice a day.
Placed on racks and fridge overnight.
View attachment 679325
Racks out to allow meat to come to warm a bit.
MES 40 burned off and settled back in at 110° with a half tray of LJ Supreme Pellets.
4 hrs a @ 110° , then bumped to 160°. Ran that for 2 hrs and bumped to 170° for 2hrs. Couple of the thicker pieces I could temp were 147°.
Took piece out and let cool and opened a piece up. Liked the texture so shut it down and cooled naturally.
View attachment 679328
Was very satisfied with the way this turned out, will definitely do again. Want to thank Rich for posting his up and the help corresponding with him.
Spectacular! Great job man.

Reactions: Winterrider
Spectacular! Great job man.
"Spectacular!"
This made me laugh.
These are the geese that we kill out here in Cali. We call them "Specks", they are actually called greater white fronts.
They are by far the best tasting waterfowl in the Pacific Flyway.
1698205733086.jpeg

I'm going to have to try kippering a few, damn that looks amazing, they would be great blind snacks.

Dan.

Boy that does look really good Winter. Nice Job!!!

point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Winterrider
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky