Cumberland Fresh Sausage...(Goose/Pork)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I ran across an Authentic recipe for English Cumberland fresh sausage and marked it in my head for a run with goose and pork. The spices just looked like a perfect match for goose. Well, with the run of snack sticks yesterday, I had 30# of meat and only needed 25# for the sticks. Ok...what can I do with the rest? Then I remembered about the Cumberland sausage....yep. got all the stuff on hand. Lets make it!
Goose meat thru 3mm plate, pork/fat thru 4.5mm plate...
IMG_20231123_024321.jpg

This sausage is suppose to be coarse ground and in a hog casing as a coil...I did neither. Fine ground and in plastic 1# meat bags for patty sausage. Here is the recipe I used...
https://honest-food.net/cumberland-sausage-recipe/

Now, I make a damn good Jimmy Dean clone recipe and have used it for years with both goose and deer, but this Cumberland sausage is the best breakfast sausage I have ever made with goose meat, Wow! Incredible! I have gone through 40# of goose, probably got another 30# to go...one 10# bag will be made into more Cumberland Sausage for sure!!!

*I did add 1/2 TBSP. of red pepper flakes to the recipe. That is the only change I made.

Nice . I've been looking at doing Cumberland and Lincolnshire . Both look like great formulas .
Lincolnshire is basic . Salt , white pepper and sage .
Cook some up and post it .

I've never had either knowingly, but that does look good Inda

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great. The fresh minced sage is a big plus for me, we like that best and is a big difference IMO.

Nice . I've been looking at doing Cumberland and Lincolnshire . Both look like great formulas .
Lincolnshire is basic . Salt , white pepper and sage .
Cumberland is basic...White pepper, Black pepper, Mace, tad of nutmeg, and sage....but not too much sage that it overpowers the delicate fruitiness of the mace. The sum is greater than the parts in the spice profile.

There are recipes all over the internet using too much thyme, as well as corriander, marjoram, and others...

Some thyme is ok when used sparingly, but most recipes I've seen use too much as a dominate spice in the mix when it is suppose to be a background spice.

Cajuneric has one that looks good too, but I have not made it...
https://twoguysandacooler.com/cumberland-sausage/

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thought I snapped a pic. of the sample patty I fried up...checked my phone and it is not there. I fried up what was left in the stuffer for breakfast....could took another pic. but thought I had one already. Will post a pic, when I make another batch...that will happen real soon!

I also like to take the spices in a new recipe and mix a pinch of each together to smell. It never dawned on me how well sage and mace compliment each other until I smelled them mixed together...I can see why this sausage has been a hit for 500 years!

They both caught my eye looking through Marianski's site .
A couple weeks ago I made his " Italian bratwurst " White pepper and fennel . It was just simple spice , almost rustic sausage .
I have 2 2 1/2 pound batches of unseasoned pork grind in the freezer . I'll be making both of these soon .

Reactions: indaswamp
I ran across an Authentic recipe for English Cumberland fresh sausage and marked it in my head for a run with goose and pork. The spices just looked like a perfect match for goose. Well, with the run of snack sticks yesterday, I had 30# of meat and only needed 25# for the sticks. Ok...what can I do with the rest? Then I remembered about the Cumberland sausage....yep. got all the stuff on hand. Lets make it!
Goose meat thru 3mm plate, pork/fat thru 4.5mm plate...
View attachment 681706

This sausage is suppose to be coarse ground and in a hog casing as a coil...I did neither. Fine ground and in plastic 1# meat bags for patty sausage. Here is the recipe I used...
https://honest-food.net/cumberland-sausage-recipe/

Now, I make a damn good Jimmy Dean clone recipe and have used it for years with both goose and deer, but this Cumberland sausage is the best breakfast sausage I have ever made with goose meat, Wow! Incredible! I have gone through 40# of goose, probably got another 30# to go...one 10# bag will be made into more Cumberland Sausage for sure!!!

*I did add 1/2 TBSP. of red pepper flakes to the recipe. That is the only change I made.
Looks like a great recipe I’ll have to
Try it thanks for posting!!

Reactions: indaswamp
Here ya go Rich....pics....
I pulled out 1# of Cumberland sausage from the freezer to cook @5:30am this morning after my allnighter smoking snack sticks.

Inda pan...
IMG_20231124_213927.jpg

Served with garlic cheese grits, and over easy eggs with Tabasco sauce....
IMG_20231124_214746.jpg

Out the pan...
IMG_20231124_214830.jpg

Up close shot....
IMG_20231124_214751.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky