Suggestion request - corn beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

muskyjunky

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 13, 2018
Northeast Ohio
Hello , I'm going to smoke a corned beef brisket tomorrow . Other then time and temp I have no real plan . Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this ? I'm talking about a store bought corn beef like you find for St. Patty day . I'll be doing this on my Pit Boss Pellet smoker . Thanks for any feedback !

I smoked a corned beef brisket a couple weeks ago. Cooked at 250 until I hit 150-160 internal, then steamed in a pan w a grate and a little water, covered in foil until I reached 203 internal. Then I let it cool and sliced. Cooked with pecan wood and it came out perfect.

Reactions: muskyjunky
Thank you 73. I've never done one before .. My only question is , is there a reason you finished it with a steam vs wrap or even no wrap to finish temp ? I only ask because I honestly don't know .

Well, I spent a good deal of time reading before attempting pastrami. Some folks didn’t steam, but I wanted mine to be as “traditional” as possible. I think the steaming helps with the texture of the meat. I say that because I usually cook brisket unwrapped to the same temps; and I would never be able to slice my brisket as thinly as I slice my pastrami. Also, after 4 hours, you aren’t getting any more smoke in the meat, so the steaming helps speed up the cook process.

Take this with a grain of salt, I’m no expert but that’s what I’ve experienced.

91821718-4AE9-4758-B9E2-CFD36DCE473A.jpeg
Here is a pic of my strami, under some meatloaf. The pic illustrates how the grate helps keep the water away from the meat...

16D04981-1C86-403B-9360-0EEDD6D5EFB9.jpeg
After cooling, a look at the slices.

Reactions: muskyjunky
Do one reading a lot of people soak it in water and change frequently then apply their own spices and smoke. ( cuts down on the saltiness that some complain about)

Well I did it ... soaked it overnight in water to try to draw some salt out but didn't really work out in that senses . The cook itself went very good and meat itself performed solid . I would just say that a corned beef for me is just still to salty smoked ... keep in mind I Love corn beef in a crock pot with sauerkraut cooked 8-12 hours .. having said this , I'm gonna shave the rest for subs . Will be very good in that venue I think .

Attachments

• IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1052.JPG
    IMG_1052.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 15
Make sure you let it sit in water and soak it for hours before you smoke it. Reason being, cured brisket is usually steamed which takes out a lot of the salt. If you don't plan to steam it before you smoke it, it will end up way too salty. I smoked two brisket points for st Patrick's and they were some of the best I've had. Used a traditional pastrami rub and smoked them until they were really tender

I soaked it overnight , approx 12 total hours before I started . I'm not unhappy with results , I just feel it was still to salty for a main course meat type thing for me .

I soaked it overnight , approx 12 total hours before I started . I'm not unhappy with results , I just feel it was still to salty for a main course meat type thing for me .

Did you change the water out a couple of times? If not then you wind up soaking it in salt water.

Chris.

I did a couple times in first 2 hours then changed it again and went to bed . Got up and rubbed it in simple garlic pepper and let it warm up to ambient temp before starting my smoke on it . I need to say that other then salt content , it came out really good . Juicy and tender . It was by no means a blown cook , just to salty for a feature meat ( in my opinion) . I only say this so if anyone else try's this they should be aware of what I ran into .... the exchange of info on this site is what makes this place great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky