Had to Remove Roast Early -- Now What?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cockrill

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 25, 2017
Hello, everyone. I need some advice on a little problem I have...

This morning I began smoking two roasts as "poor man's brisket." A family emergency occurred and I had to pull the roasts off the smoker early and throw them in the refrigerator so I could leave the house.

One roast was at 165 degrees. The other was at 155 degrees.

Now I need to finish cooking the roasts, but am unsure how to proceed.

I'm thinking about wrapping each in heavy foil with some beef fat and cook in the oven at 225 until the internal temp hits 195, but I'm sure the roasts will be horribly dry.

I'm also thinking about cubing the roasts and throwing them in a slow cooker with some beef stock until done. The resulting roast may taste a little weird, but at least it won't be dry.

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations?

I am thinking that you would be good. At those temps where you pulled them the collagen hasnt started to break down. If you take them on to the target temp you would be fine.

Jim

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Yeah, chuck roasts.

I think I'm going to wrap them in foil with some tallow and throw them in the oven at 250 degrees. I'll lose the bark, but maybe I can get the interior temp up without them dying out to much.

You could easily throw them in oven at 350... just get done faster. I just did a chuck roast in smoker but because of weather got started way late, so the plan was to finish in the oven. Actually, my wife ended up using instapot to finish it... still tastes great and so tender.

Ryan

Reactions: jaxgatorz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky