Steak tartare

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Atomic...  That looks delish....  but.....  I'm afraid I'd have to put that in a fry pan and heat it up a bit...  maybe a meat/veggie omelet type thing...   I think it's egg yolk...

Atomic...  That looks delish....  but.....  I'm afraid I'd have to put that in a fry pan and heat it up a bit...  maybe a meat/veggie omelet type thing...   I think it's egg yolk...
Atomic, as much as I love seeing your creations, this is the first I would have to pass on...

Not sure why, but I can't get past the raw egg...  

Reactions: daveomak
I'm with the other two on the raw egg.  put a over easy egg on it and I would give it a go.  What kind of steak did you use for this?  Never tried it but interested. 

I'm afraid I'd have to pass on the egg also. There is a lot of Czech influence where I live, they just use ground beef, diced onion and white pepper. Mix it all up, wrap it in saran wrap, put it in the fridge for a couple of days and eat it on crackers.

Man it's good!

They call it Tiger Meat or Cleaver Chop. 

I'm afraid I'd have to pass on the egg also. There is a lot of Czech influence where I live, they just use ground beef, diced onion and white pepper. Mix it all up, wrap it in saran wrap, put it in the fridge for a couple of days and eat it on crackers.

Man it's good!

They call it Tiger Meat or Cleaver Chop. 
We had a similar tradition in the upper Midwest around the holidays. Raw ground beef (usually ground round or sirloin) and onions served on rye bread with salt and pepper. The raw egg is a no-go for me as well.

Last edited:
To each his own...but raw meat is great yet you draw the line at raw egg?

This is not store bought egg...If the safety aspect is the concern.

I used the tail end of an AAA tenderloin (after trimming the first layer of meat). The mixings: capers, pickles, red onion; spices: Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce , salt, pepper.

Ate it with flaxseed bread.

Damn...Mine is amateurish...Wait I am an amateur [emoji]128514[/emoji]

I never had steak tartare in a restaurant.

I am getting the impression this dish is not popular with SMF members even without raw yolk..

Last edited:
AS, I think I would like it after a few libations, the raw meat would be worse than raw eggs which I like.

Damn...Mine is amateurish...Wait I am an amateur [emoji]128514[/emoji]

I never had steak tartare in a restaurant.

I am getting the impression this dish is not popular with SMF members even without raw yolk..

When I was living in Hawaii there was a restaraunt (Japanese sushi) that I ate at quite often. Usually I would get the ahi poke (large plate was $7). He did have a tartare special and when it was on the menu I'd splurge. It was super good, but not cheap!

AS, I think I would like it after a few libations, the raw meat would be worse than raw eggs which I like.
I really recommend you try it. Between the capers , cornichons (pickles was my substitute), mustard and the yolk there isn't much of a raw meat taste. Actually tenderloin has this texture that it makes it very palatable raw...Much like tuna.

To each his own...but raw meat is great yet you draw the line at raw egg?

This is not store bought egg...If the safety aspect is the concern.

I used the tail end of an AAA tenderloin (after trimming the first layer of meat). The mixings: capers, pickles, red onion; spices: Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce , salt, pepper.

Ate it with flaxseed bread.
Actually it's cuz I don't like the taste of raw egg.

Raw eggs ... what's the problem? I've eaten quite a few (homemade mayo, steak tartare, Caesar salad). So has this guy:

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky