Southern Cal ? Buying a hog is it woth it ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinmikey

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
Southern CAL Palm Desert
Ok, I am real rookie and am a tight budget. I am thinking about buying a whole hog maybe a half, and have it processed to manageable cuts. If I can split this buy with another couple and freeze the majority, does this like a smart buy? With this virus going around I was thinking the half/whole hog buy. What's the best approach for buying ? I'd need it processed into ribs,roast, etc. What's a good price ? I haven't searched much as prices are all over $5-8 lb.
I can go to Costco as a senior but there is still minimal selection.
Stay safe and clean.

What Breed? $5-$8 a pound for a common, White, the breed grown commercially, is not a great deal. You can buy Commercial pork, pan ready for under $3 a pound in any Grocery store. If you are talking a Heritage Berkshire, Duroc, Red Waddle, a mix if any of these or especially a Mangalitsa, then Yes, it's worth the investment. The big expense is in the Cured Smoked cuts like Ham and Bacon, as well as Sausage production. If you can do all this yourself, you can save money...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
You should be able to find some good deals on live hogs with all the kids that raised them in their 4H programs that didn't get to sell them because of the shutdowns. Look up your local 4H program and ask them if they know of any kids that need to sell their hogs.

You should be able to find some good deals on live hogs with all the kids that raised them in their 4H programs that didn't get to sell them because of the shutdowns. Look up your local 4H program and ask them if they know of any kids that need to sell their hogs.
Yup. That is what I just did. Buddy found a couple...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky