Soul Food, 6 Hour Smoked and Braised Oxtail and Confit, Creamy Mashed and Bacon Collard Greens My TD entry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Soul Food, 6 Hour Smoked and Braised Oxtail and Confit, Creamy Mashed and Bacon Collard Greens

First off , thank you everyone for the work involved in cooking , posting , voting and and the work to put these together for our enjoyment.

I have never cooked or had Oxtail, but always wanted to do Jamaican Oxtail stew. But decided on this . It was hard to find good reasonable priced oxtail, and I had to read on the best way to process them for the best flavour. " Low and slow " to break down the connective tissues and stuff, lol
These were already trimmed of any fat that should come off, so ready to go with my rub.

Heavy coat of Rub, 2 table Black pepper, 4 tea Kosher salt, 1 tea cinnamon, 4 tea paprika
Coat heavy and in fridge for the night
Into smoker at 225+/- for 3 hours on Hickory chunks and chips
While they are rolling in the smoker, chop up my veg for the braising sauce. Carrots, onions, celery 2 sprigs thyme and 1 bay leaf, light sauté on them ,
add the liquids, 3 cups beef broth, 14 oz can of diced tomatos, 3/4 cup red wine, 1 tablespoon tomato paste 1/4 cup of Worchester, garlic and black pepper to taste.
Let simmer until the oxtail is ready to come out of smoker and into the braising liquid for a long warm swim another 2 1/2 - 3 hours at same temp , no wood needed.

DSC_8189.JPG DSC_8191.JPG

DSC_8197.JPG

Oxtail ready , pulled and put in pan with some of the juice first and then the meat , realized that this pan is not big enough to cover the oxtail, so back in the house and new pan , this will work. everything fit and cover and back in smoker.

DSC_8198.JPG DSC_8200.JPG

DSC_8203.JPG
DSC_8204.JPG

After 2 1/2 hours pulled and , YES these are ready , smell great and very tender. I tried a small piece . This is a very tasty beef.
Took the oxtail out of the sauce and put back in smoker for a rest while I reduced the broth down after I remove the big stuff
Saved the veg as the Confit

DSC_8205.JPG

DSC_8206.JPG

Boiled up my potatoes and mashed like normal than added sour cream and 1 cup of grated mozza, salt and pepper and 2 tablespoon of chopped chives

Steamed up the collard greens like we do for beet greens , fried and chopped up some bacon , add greens and bacon to pot with little butter when done sprinkled with some white vinegar.

Plated it up and now you know the rest of the story

Here is a couple shots of the plate
DSC_8220.JPG

enter this one.JPG

I have to tell you really this was the most tender flavourful piece of beef i have ever eaten, and I really love my short ribs . This is better.

And so juicy it was a pick up in your hands kind of meat ( but you can use a fork, no knife needed )

This will be done again , big thumbs up from the family.

Again thank you all for the votes and the judging

David

I txt'ed this post first thing this morning to Bryce. He said..."YES! YES! YES!". Man that is gorgeous cook!

Jim
Bet that kid is starving now thinking about this meal!
Great job David! Was a beautiful looking plate! Think I'd sub them collards for some green beans and bacon though.

Ryan

I txt'ed this post first thing this morning to Bryce. He said..."YES! YES! YES!". Man that is gorgeous cook!

Jim

Thanks Jim for the love and the comment

It was a fun and interesting cook/smoke . I really enjoyed it and the process. I will be using Oxtail again for a few things.

Hope you have fun making with and or for Bryce.

David

Reactions: JLeonard
Bet that kid is starving now thinking about this meal!
Great job David! Was a beautiful looking plate! Think I'd sub them collards for some green beans and bacon though.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the love and the comment

It was a very good meal and I can't get over how good the Oxtail really was.
And like I mentioned to Jim I will be using it in more meals

I with you also, I did not like the collards at all , but they were made right just not my cup of tea.
I cook a lot of things I will not eat, Lobster, mussels , clams , scallops etc. lol

David

First off congratulations David on the win(s). Now that is one beautiful plate. Excellent Job!!!
I've seen ox tail in our local grocer before, but as you say it's awfully expensive. I may have bite the bullet and give it a go now that I've seen what the end results can be.

Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky