Something to Take Our Minds off of Our Current Situation.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I agree, but just like our tastes for food our tastes for music change as we age. I don't mind showing my age as I know there are a lot of folks here on the site that are in the general age group and thought this would be a great way to think about something else.

My wife already asked me what do I think are her favorite songs and groups are now....and I was pretty close.

Interesting interaction as she grew up in northern california and Me in southwest Ohio.

But in general Jim I am with you in that i has made me remember a lot of music that I had forgotten about.

John
yeah, reading all the post I can't believe a lot of the bands I forgotten about, going to have to dig out the 8 tracks. Great thread John!!

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Steppen Wolf, Grand Funk, Deep Purple, Guess Who, Styx, Marshall Tucker, Argent, Kinks, Van Halen, Triumph, Rush, Night Ranger, Mountain, Ozark Mtn. Daredevils, Journey, BTO, Super Tramp and of course ELP. The list could go on and on and on.

Never did do enough drugs to like Pink Floyd.

Chris

Not great at remembering singers and all their songs but with all mentioned had to look a couple of them up
Bob segar...turn the page
John prine...dear abbey
Chris LeDoux...this cowboys hat
Eagles...seven bridges road, had a good friend that was awesome singing this song and hadn't talked to him for a long time so decided to call him. Plus wanted to thank him, he's an over the road truck driver and is out there everyday on the road. Was currently in New Mexico, 1180 miles from where he's headed. Had to laugh though, he's got a semi load of gummy bears, don't think there's been a run on them!

Ryan

It has to be Stevie Nicks for me. She is my rock goddess! I love her solo, with Fleetwood Mac, even Buckingham Nicks. In general I prefer classic rock but I will listen to most anything other than gangster rap. Some other favorites would be Zepplin, Journey, Melissa Etheridge, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Heart, Pat Benatar, Janis Joplin, and Linda Ronstadt.

Now I need to crank up some music. Oh and then there are the 90’s. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, The Cult, Hootie and the Blowfish. There are so many awesome groups. Thanks for the fun diversion.
G

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Yeesh. There's so much.

Grunge
Acoustic
HUGE Floyd fan. David gilmour is by far my favorite artist of all time. I really don't even listen to the Roger Waters Floyd all that often.
A pretty wide selection of "oldies"
A good selection of international metal
New age metal
All of the classic metal
Some country
Some classic country
Dub step/EDM
Certain death metal
Funk
Some disco
80s hair
Grew up in the 80s so a good bit of 80s stuff like dire straits/etc
Classic rock
Very certain pop stuff
And small segments of satanic black metal. Not a Satanist or anything close to it, but theirs a killer energy to their live shows. I'm a concert junky!

I could verse about any of those..there are definitely some that I haven't listed. those things that we all grew up with that built the foundation of our musical taste that we don't necessarily listen to anymore though. Once I've gotten burned out on a band it may be years until I ever listen to them again. If at all.

Growing up as a kid (Grade school)>
• Big Beatles fan
• Creedence (CCR)
• Some Rolling Stones
• Elton John

All through high school, I had 100s of LPs with music from:
• Led Zeppelin
• Pink Floyd
• Aerosmith
• Kansas
• ELO
• Van Halen
• Robin Trower
• Queen
• Eagles
• ZZTop

Into College, broadened out:
• Classical (particularly violin and piano concertos) - numerous artists
• Acoustic Blues, especially the old genre:
Mississippi Joh Hurt, Lightnin' Hopkins, Rev. Gary Davis and more modern artists such as Kelly Joe Phelps, Chris Smither, etc.
• New Wave (in the early 80s): Talking Heads, Police,

I still listen to 'Classic Rock' on the radio, but the majority of my music is Worship-based—modern worship from bands such as...
• Hillsong United
• Elevation
• Mercy Me
• Third Day
• Need to Breathe

I'm pretty much a blues and CW fan. Stevie Ray, Clapton, BB King, Buddy Guy, Willie, Ray Price, Merle, Toby Keith, Hank Jr. Like Soul too; Frankie Beverley, Teddy Pendergrass, Temptations, Smoky Robinson, and a little Mahalia Jackson every once in a while. Got a few CD's with Pavarotti and Placido Domingo. Saw Hendrix at the Fillmore in 69, different day. Live show favorite has always been BB King, seen him two dozen times at least. RAY

Sorry Guys, I was a Teenager in the 60s, and still only enjoy music that had words than meant something, and wasn't just a bunch of screaming & hollering, to hide the fact that they can't sing.
Give me just about any singer from the Sixties, too numerous to list!

Bear

Steppen Wolf, Grand Funk, Deep Purple, Guess Who, Styx, Marshall Tucker, Argent, Kinks, Van Halen, Triumph, Rush, Night Ranger, Mountain, Ozark Mtn. Daredevils, Journey, BTO, Super Tramp and of course ELP. The list could go on and on and on.

Chris
Ozark Mountain Daredevils....good one! Had forgotten them...

Not great at remembering singers and all their songs but with all mentioned had to look a couple of them up
Bob segar...turn the page
John prine...dear abbey
Chris LeDoux...this cowboys hat
Eagles...seven bridges road, had a good friend that was awesome singing this song and hadn't talked to him for a long time so decided to call him. Plus wanted to thank him, he's an over the road truck driver and is out there everyday on the road. Was currently in New Mexico, 1180 miles from where he's headed. Had to laugh though, he's got a semi load of gummy bears, don't think there's been a run on them!

Ryan
Eagles...seven bridges road is a classic!!

Couple other favorites;
Doobie Brothers (as Robert mentioned)
Boston
Voice - have to go with Celine Dion

Steve H Steve H , never really got into Prince at the time but watched a tribute/special on him a bit ago. He was actually phenomenal.

Reactions: chopsaw
Fleetwood Mac, Credence Clear Water Rival
Yes I have both of these groups

Blues, Southern rock, Rock, like most music....most :)
Allman Bros
ZZ Top
Eric Clapton
Buddy Guy
Johnny Winter
Outlaws
Jimi, SRV, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Joe Bonamassa
Eagles
Cash, Merl, Hank
Blues - Eric Clapton - BB King - Joe Cocker
Southern Rock - Charlie Daniels Band, Allman Brothers, Black Oak Arkansas, James Gang, Marshall Tucker Band, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and The Outlaws

Chris
Chris, I remember all of those and have most of their music.
Grand Funk was my first concert in the mid 70's :emoji_laughing:

It has to be Stevie Nicks for me. She is my rock goddess! I love her solo, with Fleetwood Mac, even Buckingham Nicks. In general I prefer classic rock but I will listen to most anything other than gangster rap. Some other favorites would be Zepplin, Journey, Melissa Etheridge, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Heart, Pat Benatar, Janis Joplin, and Linda Ronstadt.

Now I need to crank up some music. Oh and then there are the 90’s. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, The Cult, Hootie and the Blowfish. There are so many awesome groups. Thanks for the fun diversion.
G
Have a few of your favs....What about Heart, Blondie, and Joan Jett

Growing up as a kid (Grade school)>
• Big Beatles fan
• Creedence (CCR)
• Some Rolling Stones
• Elton John

All through high school, I had 100s of LPs with music from:
• Led Zeppelin
• Pink Floyd
• Aerosmith
• Kansas
• ELO
• Van Halen
• Robin Trower Wow forgot about him!
• Queen
• Eagles
• ZZTop

Into College, broadened out:
• Classical (particularly violin and piano concertos) - numerous artists
• Acoustic Blues, especially the old genre:
Mississippi Joh Hurt, Lightnin' Hopkins, Rev. Gary Davis and more modern artists such as Kelly Joe Phelps, Chris Smither, etc.
• New Wave (in the early 80s): Talking Heads, Police,

I still listen to 'Classic Rock' on the radio, but the majority of my music is Worship-based—modern worship from bands such as...
• Hillsong United
• Elevation
• Mercy Me
• Third Day
• Need to Breathe
I have most of your favs from grade school through college - good choices.

I'm pretty much a blues and CW fan. Stevie Ray, Clapton, BB King, Buddy Guy, Willie, Ray Price, Merle, Toby Keith, Hank Jr. Like Soul too; Frankie Beverley, Teddy Pendergrass, Temptations, Smoky Robinson, and a little Mahalia Jackson every once in a while. Got a few CD's with Pavarotti and Placido Domingo. Saw Hendrix at the Fillmore in 69, different day. Live show favorite has always been BB King, seen him two dozen times at least. RAY
Looks alot like my list there Ray!

John

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky