Something to Take Our Minds off of Our Current Situation.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
Hello all my fellow SMF Brethren:emoji_wave:!

Just thought I would start a thread to take our minds off of our troubles, similar to what Steve H did with the Keep your chins up thread. And if you have not read it lately please do it may just put a smile on your face.....

How bout we kick around some of our music tastes past and present, as it might get you all thinking about some music you used to love back when times weren't so tough?

I will start out with saying what genres I typically gravitate to and who my all time favorite artist is just to start it off.

Genres that I like are:

Rock - Old/New
Heavy Metal
Country - Some Old and Some New
Blues
Jazz - Old/New
Trop Rock

My all time favorite artist is Tom Petty with or without the Heartbreakers....

How about All Y'all?

tough one, I guess if I had to choose it would be the rolling stones, led zep., I also like my folk music to which I would have to go with Kingston trio with Gordon lightfoot up there as well.

Myself.. I'm a southern rocker... Skynryd, Outlaws, Marshall Tucker, Pure Prairie League.Molly Hatchet ... many many others
Older Country... Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson... many many others ...

Lynryd Skynryd has always been my fav. ... Although Marshall Tucker is right up there too

For videos... I like most all of "The Playing For Change" vidoes.... This guy (Mark) started out just videoing street musicians (all over the world) and then editing them to make the complete song ... His idea is that the world can be "changed" with music... Hence the name "Playing For Change"... What's cool is all the different instruments around the world .. .

This is one of his first ones... I like Grandpa Elliott from NAWLNS...

Last edited:
Myself.. I'm a southern rocker... Skynryd, Outlaws, Marshall Tucker, Pure Prairie League.Molly Hatchet ... many many others
Older Country... Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson... many many others ...

Lynryd Skynryd has always been my fav. ... Although Marshall Tucker is right up there too
Oh yea I have plenty of southern rock, I have most of the ones you listed apart from PPL and Molly Hatchet, so I need to add them to my list of need to get.

Thanks!

Reactions: bdawg
tough one, I guess if I had to choose it would be the rolling stones, led zep., I also like my folk music to which I would have to go with Kingston trio with Gordon lightfoot up there as well.
Yes Jim, Gordon is pretty laid back for sure and is a favorite. But I have more zep than stones on my media player....

I still love all of the older rock but don't listen to it much. Led Zeppelin, Molly Hatchet (more southern rock) ZZ Top, Van Halen before they went Top 40 on me, Blackfoot, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, Jim Croce, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and more.

These days I tend to stick to older Country. My favorite Pandora station is Outlaw Country: Waylon Jennings, Charlie Daniels, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Jimmy Dean, Merle Haggard, and folks like that.

Great thread John. I'm certainly gonna keep an eye on this one and see if I can get some reminders of stuff I loved in the past but may have forgotten about. I might have to build myself another playlist on Pandora after this one!!

Taking notes,
Robert

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
I can not list the groups I like. Way too many. I grew up in a bar from my parents listening to 50's to the 70's in every genre you can imagine. Then I went into the service listening to tunes from so many different countries. I like songs from every genre out there. Including ones I don't understand the language.

so far all great artist, I think we're showing our ages. I might have to change my favorites as I see some being posted.

Definitely Steve H Steve H I really like that song, also paradise by the late John Prine. Alot of country old and new, some classic rock.Maybe easier to say I don't like classical or rap. My wife likes it best if I don't sing anything!

Ryan

• Haha
Great post.. I'm 53 and like most music probably my favorites are AC/DC, Aerosmith, Zeppelin,Floyd,Kiss but also like country I guess what ever mood I'm in the music goes with it

All good stuff! I tend to listen to a bit of everything, depending in my mood

My Mt. Rushmore of music would be

Tom Petty
George Strait
Waylon Jennings
Allman Bros.

With honorable mentions going out to Skynyrd, Rolling Stones, Warren Zevon, Johnny Cash.

It’s hard to pick only 4!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky