Something old, something new, nothing blue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well, I went to the local grocers the other day and picked the wife up 7 beef hearts(she loves heart meat). Average price of the hearts - about $4.00 each. So I really couldn't complain. Sure beats the $17,00 price tag of a good t-bone or porterhouse. Anyway, to make room for the hearts I had to defrost something. That's when I spied a corned beef flat and a small ham sitting in the bottom of the freezer. Well, I told myself that would make for some good eats and I decided to thaw them out and toss them on the kettle.

After a 15 hour desalinating period I tossed the corned beef on the 26" using the SnS and a few chunks of hickory.
DSC01943.JPG

Then after a couple of hours I skin the ham and toss her into the sauna:
DSC01944.JPG

See I told you it was a tiny ham. Anywho it's all smoked, wrapped up and put away in the fridge for a use later on in the week.
DSC01946.JPG

After a few more hours the beef has transformed and is ready to be sliced. This slicer has been in the family since the late 60s early 70s. It's simple to use, hasn't failed, and can be broken down for easy clean up. Oh ya it can also be stored in a normal kitchen cabinet.
DSC01948.JPG

All sliced up:
DSC01951.JPG

...and after 9 hours. Here's supper: The grilled Reuben. Two slices of Cabot Swiss, Sour kraut, and Russian dressing. All grilled on Rye bread
DSC01955.JPG

Ooops I forgot the local sweet corn. Picked that morning from the farm down the road.
DSC01957.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Chris

Excellent, Chris!
A Reuben is my favorite sandwich hands down and yours looks perfect. I'm also a fan of Russian dressing.
Sadly I don't have them very often because the Mrs. doesn't care for them and it's hard enough to cook for 2 let alone 2 different things.
I may re-think the meal planning....
The ham looks like it could just melt in your mouth!
Big Like!
Dan

Excellent looking sammich. I could do away with a couple of those. The ladies I work with are hinting that its about time for a ham smoking. I usually do 5 or 6 at a time for them.
Jim

Good looking meal right there! Your wife has good tastes in food... love me some heart!

Ryan

Good lookin cook . Love a Reuben sandwich . Hard to beat double smoked ham too .

Darn Chris, you just stole my heart. Rubens are our favorite sandwich around here. Now I'm thinking I might have t make a stop for some rye bread when I'm out running errands in a little while. I have some homemade corned beef in the freezer. Dinner is planned now so thank you sir!!

Robert

Excellent, Chris!
A Reuben is my favorite sandwich hands down and yours looks perfect. I'm also a fan of Russian dressing.
Sadly I don't have them very often because the Mrs. doesn't care for them and it's hard enough to cook for 2 let alone 2 different things.
I may re-think the meal planning....
The ham looks like it could just melt in your mouth!
Big Like!
Dan

Thank you Dan and for the like. The Reuban as well as the Monte Christo are my favorites. Totally agree with the Russian dressing. Something about it makes the Reuben taste better then Thousand island. The ham is the perfect size for the wife and I. Big plans are in the works for it.

Excellent looking sammich. I could do away with a couple of those. The ladies I work with are hinting that its about time for a ham smoking. I usually do 5 or 6 at a time for them.
Jim

Appreciate it Jim and for the like. You better get going on smoking those hams. Nothing worse in this world then upset ladies!!!:emoji_laughing:

Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
Darn Chris, you just stole my heart. Rubens are our favorite sandwich around here. Now I'm thinking I might have t make a stop for some rye bread when I'm out running errands in a little while. I have some homemade corned beef in the freezer. Dinner is planned now so thank you sir!!

Robert

Glad to oblige Robert. I know it will turn out fantastic. Also thanks for the kindly words and like.

View attachment 508940

That sandwich is money Chris!

It was John, my only disappointment was that I was only able to eat one. It's crazy hot/humid for us right now. Appreciate the like also.

Chris

Great looking meal Chris!
Al

Thanks Al, It took a while to make but there isn't a whole lot of effort. Makes for a great hot day dinner. Appreciate the like also
Chris

Great looking sammich! Drooling.
Nothing blue my a$$. I know Pabst Blue Ribbon was involved somewhere along the way. :emoji_grin:

Appreciate it Moto and for the like, No PBRs were consumed yesterday. Strictly a Gansette day - also no beer pole. It was just to darn hot out.

Good looking meal right there! Your wife has good tastes in food... love me some heart!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan and for the like. I always buy them out when they're available. One of my son's friends and a couple of guys I work with give me their deer hearts also.

Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky