Some heavy weather coming

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Back in early 60's my father took three of those reel mowers and hooked then all together and I cut 3/4 acre of grass with that rig pulled behind a Rototiller.
Ha! There was an old timer that squeaked like a dry bearing that use to live down the way. Smart guy though! He hooked up 2 push mowers behind his garden tractor mower. Had a bar mounted in the front with a chain hanging on each end so he knew his cutting radius and how close to mow to obstacles!

Reactions: JLeonard
Today I had to run my wife up to the Cleveland Clinic for a mri. Of course I wore shorts (kinda hot blooded ...or just fat...) but I took along a coat and hat and gloves in case something happened. Left the house in the 40's. When we left the Cleve it was 40 with some wind and occasional rain. By the time we got close to home I was 10 and 2 holding on against the wind (its a van, so it catches wind) and our wipers were always on. Got home, let the dogs out, boy got home from school and asked me to help him and my BIL bed the steers down at the farms. So I (thankfully) changed my clothes and headed down in my best cowboy wear, leaving my shorts at home! Temps dropped out of nowhere and there were sideways slushballs flying in white out conditions. It literally took about 4 minutes to get pretty wet, not soaked, but plenty wet! We got it done at both farms (had to set roundbales in front of pens and doors too, to help combat the high wind we are supposed to get soon. So hopefully everything is in place! Really wanted to hunt tomorrow, but Im thinking Im just going to sleep in and smoke some ribs or something! Texted the boy thats at college and made sure they had plenty of snacks and beer to make it through if things get a little closed down for awhile! lol
Be careful and prepared! Snacks and booze is always a big help in these dire times .....;)

Calling for 8in snow and below zero temps here starting Sunday night then another round of snow starting Thursday. Will definitely keep us locked down up in these hills.
Hunker down!! Good too see you here Jake. We have insane winds right now through tomorrow night. Raining and turning to snow later. We are only supposed to get an inch or two max. Temp is going to be dangerously low though.

Sure nice to read about the hard water issues and not be in them.
Stay safe everyone.

Ever been through the ice? Its life changing lol! Fell through in a "crick" when I was a kid! ...
Broke through the ice duck hunting many years ago. When the ice broke, my last hope was the water wasn't deeper than my hip boots. Yeah no such luck. I went in to my lower chest level.
The hip boots (after I drained the water) helped warm me.

Already another 1.5" of rain and we still have a few more hours to go. I'll feel bad for the folks living near the rivers, most were near or still above flood stage from the last storm. High tide is going to be a problem too.

In the winter of 1969
That was when I would have been 11 so i only remembering having fun playing in that big snow
BUT in 2004 Feb. 17 - 20th , when we were hit with what we called " White Juan " We were hit with recorded 20" - 39"
in the province With some saying 50" - 59" drifting.
It was coming down 2" an hour, Now that was a storm,
We were in Florida at the time having fun, did not even know it was happening.
Until we seen the early morning news on the TV, it said on the headline " Halifax Shutdown " that changed the vacation.
Before we left I told my son to make sure that he shoveled any snow that we get . So it looks like we are home.
When we got home the neighbours said that they helped him as he only had a cordless shovel ( ha ha no snowblower then )
Took him 3 days to clean up the driveway. And he said he is not staying home the next time we go away. lol

David

Forecast is for 26-degree low tonight, 24-degree low Sunday night, 17-degree low Monday night and 14-degree low Tuesday night.

I just got back from HEB - had to pick up a couple of fresh sandwich rolls so I can make a friend a meatball sandwich today.

You would think it was the end of the fricken world how many people were in that store - the checkout lines stretched back half-way up the store isles!!!

What a bunch of cry-babbies I swear. The Comanche lived outside in TENTS in weather like this fer chrissakes...

I worked out in it so long that it doesn't bother me to much . That dang wind gets pretty stiff in shorts and a T shirt though .
Windchill down around 1 here , and the coldest day coming Sunday . Got some chicken parts in the instant pot for chicken and dumplings later .
Picked some fresh thyme and rosemary and through it in there . Smells darn good in here .

I worked out in it so long that it doesn't bother me to much . That dang wind gets pretty stiff in shorts and a T shirt though .
Windchill down around 1 here , and the coldest day coming Sunday . Got some chicken parts in the instant pot for chicken and dumplings later .
Picked some fresh thyme and rosemary and through it in there . Smells darn good in here .
Chicken and dumplings would be awesome on a day like today! Didn't bother to check temps... I know it's cold and windchill below zero. Wife had to come home from work early, sick and coming out both ends. Took the tractor to highway to make sure roads were passable for her car. Then took tractor to do chores...

1000004137.jpg

Now it's just a ground blizzard so not as bad when it was snowing.

Ryan

Living in frigid Minnesota. Fingers get numb quickly. Single digits before windchill and high winds. Fortunately got the fireplace crackling!!!
I'd sure love having a fireplace in this kind of weather!

Ryan

Forecast is for 26-degree low tonight, 24-degree low Sunday night, 17-degree low Monday night and 14-degree low Tuesday night.

I just got back from HEB - had to pick up a couple of fresh sandwich rolls so I can make a friend a meatball sandwich today.

You would think it was the end of the fricken world how many people were in that store - the checkout lines stretched back half-way up the store isles!!!

What a bunch of cry-babbies I swear. The Comanche lived outside in TENTS in weather like this fer chrissakes...
Winter storm Uri, Feb 2021, spooked millions of Texans. We were without power for 72 hours straight. Couldn't cook even if we had food. No food in area grocery stores. Very little in area restaurants. Thousands of dollars damage to my pool equipment.

ERCOT was beaten unmercifully and told to fix the problem. Not sure if they did anything useful, like add fossil fueled power plants to the grid, but they, together with the news media, have adopted a fear-mongering approach and do their best to scare people now every time a storm threatens. I've lived in Texas for a relatively short time -- 40 years -- and never saw this kind of "cry-baby" behavior before Uri.

The latest reports from ERCOT suggests that this storm will be a nothing burger, that people should calm down. But after almost two weeks of fear-mongering, that message isn't being received.

Very frustrating, for sure.

Reactions: Retired Spook
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky