Yes Beef Ribs and Potato Roses with Poppy seed slaw

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well David, what can I say other than another phenomenally done meal!

Sorry to hear of your flooding… no other way to say it… That Sucks!

BTW, Congrats on the ride!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Sucks on the basement issue! Seems you guys can’t catch a break between the fires and heavy rains. Hopefully life will even out soon for ya.
now…. That meal is gorgeous! Like jcam222 jcam222 said… a master class in cooking. Looks like something from a high dollar restaurant.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the like and the comment

Nice of both you and jcam222 jcam222 Jeff to say, just trying to keep up with your guys posts.
It was a very good meal for sure.

As for what life and mother nature has thrown this way in the last year and a half.
The ice storm, the 2 hurricanes , the wild fires , and now the biggest rain and flood of the last 50 to 75 years
I am now just waiting for the swarm of Locust to fly through, lol

David

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
That plate looked almost too good to eat. Thanks for sharing. Sorry about your basement.

Thanks for the comment

It was pretty, but I had no problem shoving it down my neck, lol
No really it was a very good meal , love every bite of it

Yes I hate things that come into the house that were not invited , water ,ants ,in-laws etc.

David

Man that whole meal looks amazing David and love the potatoes!!

Sorry about the basement but hopefully it'll be any easy fix....and easy on the back😁!

Keith

Thanks Keith for the comment

Was a great meal Keith and the potatoes were very good and fun to try,
but you know me , I will be adding other items to them next time :emoji_yum:

As for the uninvited water in basement, yes sucks , got it dried up , started digging up the end foundation wall.
Forgot how much I missed digging with just my cordless shovel, lol . Not a lot of fun on this old back. But Mona is not going to do it , ha ha

David

• Haha
Reactions: 912smoker
The meal looks amazing. I too will need to try the roses. Sorry to hear about the storm, but as you have already said, it’s just stuff and your family is good. Glad to hear.

Thanks chp for the comment

Yes great meal and yes try the roses , I just found them on the www, few different ways but my way worked for me,

It was a very bad storm, the rain , thunder and lightening did not let up ay all for 24 hours.
As for the basement , yes just stuff, no real damage. It will all dry out structure wise, and like you said no one in our house was hurt.
There was a car with 4 people in it that washed away and still missing ( 2 kids ) that is really bad. trying to find out more of that story.

David

Well David, what can I say other than another phenomenally done meal!

Sorry to hear of your flooding… no other way to say it… That Sucks!

BTW, Congrats on the ride!

Thanks Justin for the like and the comment

Very nice of you to say about the meal, it really was that good.

You are right it does just suck, especially when not expecting it ( but I guess who does ever expect it )

WELL Sir , I have just been responding to the comments and did not know until I hit yours about the ride , I will have to go and take a peek, 🤠:emoji_sunglasses::emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks Justin

David

Thanks chp for the comment

Yes great meal and yes try the roses , I just found them on the www, few different ways but my way worked for me,

It was a very bad storm, the rain , thunder and lightening did not let up ay all for 24 hours.
As for the basement , yes just stuff, no real damage. It will all dry out structure wise, and like you said no one in our house was hurt.
There was a car with 4 people in it that washed away and still missing ( 2 kids ) that is really bad. trying to find out more of that story.

David
Very sorry to hear people were lost. Unfortunately, this is too common. I hope there is good news at the end of it.

• Sad
Very sorry to hear people were lost. Unfortunately, this is too common. I hope there is good news at the end of it.
Yes it is sad, its on the news here for 2 days, but not really explaining how or why they cant find them or the car/truck,
but the water everywhere was heavy fast and deep.

David

Those Tater Roses steal the whole show!
They look simply delectable.
It all looks delicious, but them Roses... Damn!

Reminds me of my Smoked Apple Roses dessert.

Those Tater Roses steal the whole show!
They look simply delectable.
It all looks delicious, but them Roses... Damn!

Reminds me of my Smoked Apple Roses dessert.

Thanks John for the love and the comment

The potato Roses really did grab your eye on the plate.
And the ribs and slaw were a close second when it came time to eat.
Great meal for sure , and I enjoyed it for 2 meals

I was not around when you made those but I did read how you did when I was looking up on how to smoke desserts , couple years back. Reminds me time to make some more rice pudding.

David

David, that is a world class, 5-star, magazine quality meal and presentation. Simply breathtaking my friend. The ribs look fantastic but as usual, you have taken the taters to a whole new level. Very well done sir and congrats on a much deserved carousel ride.

Robert

That's a fine looking meal David, and I'm really liking those taters. Sorry about the flooding. Vt. was hit pretty hard with flooding but thankfully our town was spared. The same cannot be said for the surrounding towns or the mid state region.

Point for sure
Chris

Yes Beef Ribs and Potato Roses with Poppy seed slaw

First off I have been MIA, off and on for a couple weeks just a couple minutes at a time, sometimes life just sucks

Now on to this cook I did Friday just as the f...ing big storm hit Nova Scotia again,

Started of with a small pack of 3 bone beef ribs ( beef grilling back ribs on the package )
Only salt , ground black pepper and touch of garlic powder

View attachment 671251 View attachment 671254

Into the smoker at 275 deg. with black cherry chips and 1 chunk
After couple hours , starting to look good

View attachment 671262 View attachment 671263
When they were down to roughly an hour and a half to go I started to make the Potato Roses

Sliced up potatoes nice and thin, laid out 2 strips and topped with the potatoes, make sure they over lap

View attachment 671255 View attachment 671256
As best you can roll them up and place into a greased muffin tins Next time I will not peel them as it might give an even better look when finished

View attachment 671258 View attachment 671259
I than mixed up some melted butter with pepper ( no salt because of the bacon ) dried parsley garlic powder ( you could add what flavours you would want to have )
In the oven at 375 for about 40 minutes , than covered and cooked for an other 30 minutes ( to make sure the bacon was cooked inside, then the last 15 minutes uncovered
( I did pull and remove some of the fat that built up in the tray and the empty cup )
View attachment 671260 View attachment 671261

So the ribs are at 172 IT so I wrapped them and back in for an hour, than pulled , took a look and smell Mmmmmmm.
took in house and let rest while the roses were finishing up in the oven.

View attachment 671264 View attachment 671268

So all rested and ready for supper, here is the cut shots

View attachment 671269 View attachment 671270
View attachment 671271View attachment 671272

These were done great for my liking , and sorry on the last 15 minutes for the roses i topped with a little grated cheddar

View attachment 671273View attachment 671274

Here is my supper with a little poppyseed coleslaw

View attachment 671275
View attachment 671276
View attachment 671277 View attachment 671278View attachment 671279View attachment 671280

The ribs were so juicy and full of beef flavour, and the potato roses , great with all the bacon flavour and crispy edges,
This is a meal I was really looking forward to . And I was very happy and I enjoyed as i was eating by myself

This was fantastic and will be done again , and of coarse I will test other flavours , maybe thin sliced onions in the roses , different spice profile on the ribs, but that is what it is about.

Thanks for looking ]

David

Side notes about the weekend
Mona was away for 12 days to see her other sister in BC, coming home tomorrow, ( which was Saturday ) But now the storm is going crazy
lightning and thunder and none stop heavy rain. In the end we had 200mm -300mm in our area, We were hit with the most in Bedford and Sackville.
10 pm I went to the basement office to post this ( did not happen until today Sunday ) as i got to the bottom steps I was greeted with my new indoor pool.
After I stopped swearing I got the shop van from shop and went to work , finished just in time to pick up Lovie at the airport Saturday morning.
On the way to the airport i was not sure if I would make it as all night long I was getting Alerts on phone saying roads everywhere closed form the flooding.
Cars were everywhere just abandoned from during the night before.
The storm was just down to rain by this time and her plane made it in. But we were the hardest hit in NS. I had pulled out the boats and glad I did there were a couple Pontoon boats floating around in the morning , they were quickly gathered up.

Thank god there was no real wind at all it was just freaky warm and still not counting the HEAVY rain.

All good today , just clean up and I found where the water came in at . So digging up the side end of house and fixing today .
Never had water in the basement ( from the outside ever lol ) Everything can be fixed , just a pain to have to .

Sorry for the rant , just another day in paradise, lol

David
look like marvelous supper. Too bad you couldn't share.

A great piece of work there David, nice job! I'd never take the time and effort to make the tater roses, they really do look magnificent. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky