Solo Stove's new Pi pizza prep board I bought

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigheaded

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Philippines
I do most of my prep, and all of my pizza building in my backyard, and my Ooni large prep table's just not big enough for everything I have so I gotta monkey around to make things fit and the process work. Solo just released this pizza prep board, and it has made my workflow much better. In the pic you can see the end hangs off the edge and has 3 2 cup containers for ingredients. This frees up a ton of space for me so I don't have to stack stuff and dig thru to get what I need. I wish I had a better setup where I didn't need more space, but until I get another prep table this is going to be a lifesaver. And while for me 3 containers aren't enough, and they're on the smaller side for how many pizzas I make. For most, this would be plenty. I do 8-10 pizzas at a go, most people don't. And I have extra space now for the other 2 containers.

At $55 it's not exactly cheap, but if Ooni or Gozney made this I'm sure it would be double lol. While I've only had it for 2 weeks, it seems well-built, and I haven't seen anything else like it. The size circles are also nice, as I'm usually on the smaller side when I try to eyeball my 16" pizzas. Also whatever kind of wood they use, or coated it with. My dough glides on it when I'm stretching my balls. Usually on a wood surface, I get friction but here it's nice and smooth.

piprep.jpg

Looks like a nice board.
You should be able to weigh the dough balls to correct weight for 16" pizza.
With practice you should be able to stretch to 16" without using any measuring.

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks like a nice board.
You should be able to weigh the dough balls to correct weight for 16" pizza.
With practice you should be able to stretch to 16" without using any measuring.

I always weigh out my balls, those pizzaiolos who can just snatch off a chunk of dough and it's almost spot on really impress me. When I eyeball the stretch I usually wind up at 15-15.5" I don't know why my brain just can't get the size right lol. I'm sure it'll click with me one day.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Fwiw, just recently started my pizza journey and found this condiment holder at my local restaurant supply: https://www.acemart.com/dining/tabl...-condiment-holder-with-6-pint-inserts/AAABC06

Works great for toppings and doesn’t take up much space behind the board in my prep area.
Also works great as a condy caddie (take everything outside in one go!) when friends come to our cookouts, it’s got a hinged lid for when the Air Force arrives and the removable trays are easily cleaned.
Hope this helps!

Fwiw, just recently started my pizza journey and found this condiment holder at my local restaurant supply: https://www.acemart.com/dining/tabl...-condiment-holder-with-6-pint-inserts/AAABC06

Works great for toppings and doesn’t take up much space behind the board in my prep area.
Also works great as a condy caddie (take everything outside in one go!) when friends come to our cookouts, it’s got a hinged lid for when the Air Force arrives and the removable trays are easily cleaned.
Hope this helps!

I have the Ooni topping station, which is like what you linked to just bigger. Those things are awesome if you have the room, I was trying to maybe help out people who don't have nearly that much room. My table has Dough Mate Artisan boxes, screens, a peel, a couple of different graters, a pizza-cutting machete knife, pizza boxes and a few smaller things. Even with the new board I bought I still just barely have enough room. With something like what you mentioned, I'll have to stack stuff that doesn't exactly stack and constantly rearrange crap.

A 2nd table would be the way to go, but for now, I was looking for something not to much $$$$ until I can afford another Ooni table. Hopefully, most people out there have a better setup that I do, but some people just have what they have. For those with extra space, the one you linked to is nice, and the Ooni topping station's slick if you have the room and wanted something even larger.

Hope this helps!
I got one similar to that at Costco several years ago.
Doesn't have a bottom as it is designed to be dropped into a hole in a counter.
I made a wood base for mine.
Don't really use it for pizza, as all my toppings are vacuum sealed and frozen in sizes for a single pizza.
Most of the time we just make a single pizza. Never made more than two.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky