Solo Stove Pi pizza oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That’s looks fantastic. Wife got me a pellet burning pizza oven for an early Father’s Day gift but haven’t used it yet. If it turns out half as good as those look I’ll be happy. Great deal great meal it looks like.

Mighty fine looking pizzas!
Thanks
Wife got me a pellet burning pizza oven for an early Father’s Day gift
Fire it up when you get back from Vacation .
That looks really good! Got me thinking about pizza. I'll probably fire up the Ooni this weekend.
If you do , run through the process .
Those pizza's look great!!!
thanks
Those Pizzas all look great. I love a little char on Pizza.
Thank you .
The first run looks great!
Made it start to finish with no argument . This will improve from here , and get a lot of use .

Thanks for all the comments . There's room for improvement on the look and the stretch .
I didn't get the dough I fermented warmed up enough .
The dough he brought home from work was still cold , and the stuff I made in the morning really needed more time to do it's thing . So all that's on me .
That said the flavor and chew was awesome .
Other thing is We walked it up on toppings . Need to do a second run with what was learned in respect to that . Amount of sauce needs to be a bit more .
Anyone that has cooked on a flattop knows how fast that gets going . This wasn't much different . I had a landing spot set up before I started so I could pull them when ready or if needed . Also had 2 different peels . A 12" wood for launching and the one I made is an 11" metal . For turning and removing .
Over all it went good for a first run . It got crazy hot towards the end .
850 in the middle of the stone , the last 3 cooked in less than 90 seconds .
The design does allow you to " dome " the pizza to cook the top better . I remember watching the guy at the wood fired place here , go into the oven , spin 180 in like 5 seconds , pause , then dome it to cook the top before he let it finish on the cooking surface . I bet 45 seconds was total time .
I domed these after the edges were good , so they got more charred when I lifted it .

Made it start to finish with no argument . This will improve from here , and get a lot of use .
Nice! :emoji_thumbsup:

Over all it went good for a first run . It got crazy hot towards the end .
850 in the middle of the stone , the last 3 cooked in less than 90 seconds .
Hooowiiie - Hot! That burner definitely does it's job. No sittin' around drinkin' beer with this one...

Wife and I just added one to our outdoor kitchen. Haven't used it yet. Have the wood/propane version. Will probably use the propane 10 times as often due to ease of use. We're probably going to try it out this weekend.

Wife and I just added one to our outdoor kitchen. Haven't used it yet. Have the wood/propane version. Will probably use the propane 10 times as often due to ease of use. We're probably going to try it out this weekend.
Cool . The propane is the way to go . We haven't even tried the wood yet . It takes a bit to get the propane up to temp .
Not sure you need any pointers , but The stone needs to be above 700 degrees in the middle , before the pizza goes in . An infrared therm is needed to check oven temps . I bought mine at Lowes . $35.00 .
I use a wood peel and semolina to launch the pizzas , and a metal one to spin and remove . Make sure your peel fits through the opening before you try to launch a pizza .
Make sure you have a place to land the pizza if you need to get it out quick , or make adjustments .

Keep the toppings on the light side . I just did a couple last week , and decided I would up the sauce and cheese . That made the dough to soggy , and also makes it hard to control when spinning .
This is a pepperoni I launched when the stone temp was only 650 . When I tried to spin because the edge was getting dark , the middle was not cooked enough and it ripped .
Came out OK , but the bottom wasn't cooked enough in spots .
1688731906024.png
Here's a cheese that cooked after the pepperoni . The stone was hotter , and the bottom cooked through , but you can see I had to much sauce . Almost lost the cheese on some of it . Still good though .
1688731334200.png

tomhooper tomhooper post up your results when you get to it .

Looks good. We bought the full kit from Solo Stove. Peels, turners, therms. I already had two laser therms so now I have 3.

Looking forward to trying it out.

I'll post pictures.

Also been told to get closer to 800 on the stone temp.
Learning curve here we come. But you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Also been told to get closer to 800 on the stone temp.
Yes . In my first run I did 5 pizzas . I comment on no. 5 that the stone temp was 850 degrees . That one cooked the best , and in about 90 seconds .
I have some dough that's been in the fridge a week . Might use it up tonight .
Sounds like you're all set . I'll be watching .

Went back in for round 3 tonight . I'd sure hate to be new to pizza and try to use one of these ovens .
Anyway . Had 500 grams of store bought dough . Fermented several days . 7 days here , plus what ever time it was at the store . I split it in 2 . Made one as thin as I could get it . Italian sausage and fresh motz .
Sausage going in raw .
20230707_175645.jpg
Stone was about 750 when I went in . That sausage cooked in 30 seconds . I used foil to launch this time . Worked way better . Bottom sets , I pull the foil out .
This was fantastic . The thinner crust is the ticket for what we like . Really good .
Simple . Less is more here for sure .
20230707_181542.jpg
20230707_181549.jpg
Second was a cheese only . Oven is really hot at this point . It seams like it's slow to get to temp , but after you start cooking it sky rockets . This was not spread as thin .
20230707_181553.jpg
I'm kicking myself , because this one was perfect . I picked it up to dome it to cook the top a bit , and the edge burst into flames . Lol . I'm talkin " Whoosh " Took the temp of the top of the oven , it was bouncing on and off 1000 degrees .
It was still good , but did smell burnt and had just a bit of burnt taste to it .
Middle was cooked , but I did put it in the oven on a hot stone to finish it up .
Bummer on the look , because it was perfect .
20230707_182325.jpg
Still learning , just posting results and efforts . That sausage pizza was really good .

We want stuffed crust, we want stuffed crust. Nice job on round three Rich. Just dip the crust in some sauce and all is good.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks like you've got it perfected Rich!
That pizza looks great!

Dang they look good!
Thanks fellas . That cheese pizza looks bad . The sausage was really good . I was adding extra sugar to the dough , to get more color in the oven . I probably need to back that off in the high heat oven .
coming soon... flaming crust pizza!!
Oh , it's already here . Lol . Needed someone to play some Johnny Cash !

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky