smoking times and temps.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sdickey1960

Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
Hello everyone, love this site, so much helpful insight.
I watch a lot of videos, seem to all be different opinions on smoking times and temps.
I have a pitboss vertical smoker, love it.
What is ya'lls opinion on smoke and temp times for jerky.
Same thing on snack sticks?
TIA Steve

Welcome , I usually start around 110° and raise temp about 10° every hr till160-170. Usually around 6 hrs. Use the search forum here, many jerky makers with some good instructions on their methods. I don' t think your PB will go that low of temps though. Good luck !

Reactions: JLeonard
Hello everyone, love this site, so much helpful insight.
I watch a lot of videos, seem to all be different opinions on smoking times and temps.
I have a pitboss vertical smoker, love it.
What is ya'lls opinion on smoke and temp times for jerky.
Same thing on snack sticks?
TIA Steve
Hi there and welcome!

Answers may vary but here's mine.

I do ground meat jerky. I do like 10-15 pounds at a time rolled out into sheets.
I've done smoker temps 170-200F smoker temp and couldn't tell much of a difference so I just roll with like 190-200F.

I apply smoke for at least 3 hours.
Time usually takes about 9 hours for me. Smaller batches may take less but I don't think it's ever gone faster than 6 hours in this format.

Finally, I use my MES40 (electric smoker) with a PID controller so temps are dead on and it's pretty easy other than switching racks and cutting sheets in half and rotating and such for that kind of babying to try and get them to dehydrate as even as possible.

In the end I just cut into strips using meat sheers. That's it for my info :D

Reactions: Sdickey1960
Welcome , I usually start around 110° and raise temp about 10° every hr till160-170. Usually around 6 hrs. Use the search forum here, many jerky makers with some good instructions on their methods. I don' t think your PB will go that low of temps though. Good luck !
My 4 series will go down to 140, that's one of the reason I bought

Reactions: Winterrider
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky