New to smoking in Eastern WA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MrsHuf

Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
I purchased a electric smoker (just a small, basic MasterBuilt) a few years back and only used it a few times. Then we moved and then the smoker went into our tool shed and was forgotten for about 3 years.

I asked my husband to bring it back out and I ordered a new part (the chip dump bin was MIA). I'll do a thorough clean and run it with some chips and an external thermometer to ensure that it is still working properly.

I'll be checking out the different forum topics to get some hints and tips for proper times/techniques for smoking different meats. One of my biggest questions is using the oven for the last part of a longer smoke. I've read/seen videos of people doing just that but I'm wondering about wrapping vs not wrapping and conventional radiate oven heat vs convection heat.

I'm hoping to do a half butt so that I can vacuum seal excess meat and keep some in the freezer for future use. There are only two of us and I try to make 3-servings at a time. 2 for dinner, 1 for hubby's lunch the next day. I'm thinking that reheating it in the sealer bag (sous vide) would help keep the leftover meat moist but would probably make any bark soft.

Beyond my specific questions, which I will try to figure out which sub-forum has the best information, I'd appreciate any helpful tips about general smoking guidelines and gear. I've got good thermometers of different varieties. But, I'd love to find others' choices for smoking gloves to handle hot meat, best brands of chips that you have tried and any other pertinent info you all can share.

Thanks!

MrsHuf

Reactions: JLeonard
Don't know which model you have and if you can add a "mailbox mod". That is the one thing I did that made my Masterbuilt a great smoker.

Reactions: MrsHuf
Welcome MrsHuf, glad you joined us. You certainly came to the right place. There are quite a few MES owners here and I'm sure they will be glad to help. And be assured there is no shame in finishing a smoke in the kitchen oven. We have all done it at one time or another. It sounds like you are on track for some really good eats.
Again, welcome.

Hello from RI.

Lots of MES users here including myself.

Lots of great mods and hacks that can be done to the MES.Once you get back into the swing of things you can start reading up on them.

I purchased a electric smoker (just a small, basic MasterBuilt) a few years back and only used it a few times. Then we moved and then the smoker went into our tool shed and was forgotten for about 3 years.

I asked my husband to bring it back out and I ordered a new part (the chip dump bin was MIA). I'll do a thorough clean and run it with some chips and an external thermometer to ensure that it is still working properly.

I'll be checking out the different forum topics to get some hints and tips for proper times/techniques for smoking different meats. One of my biggest questions is using the oven for the last part of a longer smoke. I've read/seen videos of people doing just that but I'm wondering about wrapping vs not wrapping and conventional radiate oven heat vs convection heat.

I'm hoping to do a half butt so that I can vacuum seal excess meat and keep some in the freezer for future use. There are only two of us and I try to make 3-servings at a time. 2 for dinner, 1 for hubby's lunch the next day. I'm thinking that reheating it in the sealer bag (sous vide) would help keep the leftover meat moist but would probably make any bark soft.

Beyond my specific questions, which I will try to figure out which sub-forum has the best information, I'd appreciate any helpful tips about general smoking guidelines and gear. I've got good thermometers of different varieties. But, I'd love to find others' choices for smoking gloves to handle hot meat, best brands of chips that you have tried and any other pertinent info you all can share.

Thanks!

MrsHuf
I'm won't be much help, but welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forums from Mississippi! I've included Bearcarvers (RIP) step by steps link. He was a MES tester and had a ton of tricks for the MES. By all means, ask questions, we are a friendly bunch and will help you out. And we like pics.....

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky