New Guy from Eastern WA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drysideshooter

Original poster
Nov 5, 2023
Hello all. I've been lurking a while and decided I should join.

I live in eastern Washington. I've been smoking and bbq'ing for quite a few decades. I'm a big Weber fan and have a 22" Performer kettle and a 18.5" WSM. My wife has a Weber gas grill we use for quicker cooks.

I've used the heck out of my WSM. We recently really upped our sausage making volume. I've used the WSM for a lot of smoked sausages and smoking our own cured pork bellies. We recently acquired a Meat Your Maker 1hp grinder and one of their 15lb sausage stuffers. We have been doing enough that the KitchenAid just wasn't cutting it any more. As much as I like the WSM, it's just not ideal for lower temps, like 140 for snack sticks and some sausages. I have an Amazn pellet tube, and tried that and various snake methods, but struggled getting consistent lower temps and being able to ramp up reliably as needed for some snack sticks and sausages. I just ordered a Masterbuilt 40" digital, the one without the window. I also ordered one of their cold smoker attachments. I'm going to fabricate a rack for hanging sausage in it, with ideas garnered from these forums. I thought about moddinng ann extra door for the WSM and adding an electric element, but decided a different unit made sense for us. I'll still use the heck out of the WSM. For typical smoking temps I find it so amazingly easy to hit and maintain temperature.

I'm looking forward to learning more from these forums, especially with regard to sausage making. We grind a lot of loose breakfast and Italian sausage, but also do quite a bit of cases sausages. One of our favorites is a 50/50 pork/beef sausage we call our general purpose sausage. It get's smoked to 155 internal temp and we enjoy it for breakfast, or used like a Kielbasa for dinner dishes. We have one of the raised hangers for the WSM, which has been great for warmer smokes, but I really struggled with lower temp consistency and being able to somewhat reliably ramp up the temp. I think the MES 40 will be a good addition.

Hi, and welcome from Iowa... glad you joined us! Sounds like you are well on your way! Post up some cooks and your sausage making adventures... we'd love to see them.

Ryan

Reactions: drysideshooter
Thanks for all of the welcomes. I am looking forward to learning, and hope I can contribute something worthwhile from time to time.

John, my wife and I typically spend most of November in Pensacola, fishing for bull reds. This year there were other family commitments that kept us from going. We are missing it.

Daveomak, you live in one of our favorite areas! We used to own propety in Tonasket, not too far away from you. We live outside of Kennewick now. We make it up your way fairly often. Such a beautiful part of the state.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky