Smoking stuffed Turkey ????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marctrees

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
Tx / LA border, Toledo Bend
W my Masterbuilt analog, in my weather, I can smoke at 310 - 320f.

So, can I do a typical Turkey Day stuffing inside a 12 lb bird ??

I have done some searches, and feel it's ok IF done at this temp range or a bit higher, but would like final opinions from our Experts here.

Also -  One thing I have NO idea -   What would be my optimal stuffing temp when I put it in the raw bird?

Lastly, - Are mesquite chips OK tasting  with Sage spice in stuffing?

Thank you, Marc

Last edited:

W my Masterbuilt analog, in my weather, I can smoke at 310 - 320f.

So, can I do a typical Turkey Day stuffing inside a 12 lb bird ??

I have done some searches, and feel it's ok IF done at this temp range or a bit higher, but would like final opinions from our Experts here.

Also -  One thing I have NO idea -   What would be my optimal stuffing temp when I put it in the raw bird?

Lastly, - Are mesquite chips OK tasting  with Sage spice in stuffing?

Thank you, Marc
If you can actually get 300*+ should be fine, being a 12lb bird.

Stuffing should be refer temp if not cooking immediately after stuffing. If smoking it up right after stuffing, then room temp won't hurt. You don't want warm stuffing inside the bird going into the fridge or it warms the inside of the bird.

Mesquite is a strong, earthy flavor and aroma...even with sage seasoning it could prove to be a bit strong. If you have other woods to do a smoke blend with mesquite would help mellow it out...a ratio of 1:3 mesquite / apple or most any other fruit woods, or even hickory would be very good choices for poultry, especially in combinations. If mesquite is all you have to work with then reduce smoke time to 1.5-2hrs...bird should take around ~25 min/lb @ ~300* being it's stuffed. If you have it in a pan with stuffing around the outside of the bird like oven roasting, then it may take another 3-4 min/lb.

Your bird's light and dark meat will be over minimum finished internal temp of 165*F before you stuffing reaches 165*, so after it's been smoking for couple hours check your I/T in the center of the cavity (stuffing).

Eric

Last edited:
Thank you Eric - The bird will be stuffed and put in preheated smoker at around 310  + immediately.

Yes, I realize bird may be done before stuffing hits target temp.

THAT'S WHY I'm asking about possibly elevating the stuffing temp when stuffing.

I mean, I can put it in HOT, but not sure what's best.

All the celery, mushrooms, onions,  etc are pre cooked.

Jimmy J et al. ?????  Marc

Last edited:

Thank you Eric - The bird will be stuffed and put in preheated smoker at around 310  + immediately.

Yes, I realize bird may be done before stuffing hits target temp.

THAT'S WHY I'm asking about possibly elevating the stuffing temp when stuffing.

I mean, I can put it in HOT, but not sure what's best.

All the celery, mushrooms, onions,  etc are pre cooked.

Jimmy J et al. ?????  Marc
You know, now that you mention it, yeah, if you preheat/precook the stuffing and fill the cavity with the stuffing hot you'd not only cut down on cooking time, you'd run far less risk of drying out the bird due to overcooking just to get the stuffing to a safe temp.

I say GO FOR IT!!! I've never tried it, but this sounds like a good plan I'd be willing to try. My smoked birds have all been empty cavities. Might even be able to get the wife and daughters to leave all the birds for the smoker instead of one roasted just because of having a great stuffing.

Let us know the results!!!

Eric

Alton Brown did a show on safely cooking a stuffed bird using hot stuffing. Do a search and see the details. At temps over 300 it can be done the issue is getting the stuffing to 165 without overcooking the breast. Leave the eggs out of the stuffing as allthe remaining ingredients are cooked. This will limit the risk of bacterial growth during the cook. And your choice of a small bird is a good one. No way would I attempt anything over 14 pounds...JJ

Problem  here maybe....

I put 145f stuffing into the bird, no eggs.

Bird was straight outa fridge, guessing about 36.

Covered tight w foil., (using the smoker as an oven, no wood chips this time.)

While we were doing that, smoker preheated to around 280.

After I put bird in smoker on full heat , after 20 minutes, I am showing only 268 and stuffing dropped to 108.

Put in at 4:00 CT.

Really wanted 300, or bit more.

Are we gonna die??        Marc

Update - at 40 minutes in, smoker is 271, stuffing is 104.

Last edited:
50 minutes in -  Smoker at 273, stuffing dropped to 100. 

I think I'm learning this large cold mass really sucks heat and drops chamber temp more than I expected.

Should I remove the tight foiling from the top, for a few hours anyway?

We do normally bake these at 325 tightly foiled in oven, remove foil last 30 minutes.    Marc

Last edited:
Well Marc,

You already heard from two Masters, so all I can do is say "I totally agree with Eric & Jimmy!!"

Bear

Bear - Well ya, but problem is the situation is now changed from the plan -  my chamber is not getting as hot as I "promised"    Marc
Keep it going-----It should turn around, if you keep the Smoker Temp over 270°.

The initial "Cold Meat" is mostly in the past.

Sorry I gotta leave too.  You should be OK soon.

Don't open the Door!!

Bear

Last edited:
Ya!  Thank you for the door remind, agreeed.

I will open one time to spin it maybe around 145 stuffing temp.

Chamber continues to hang around  at 270, 1500 W light on constantly, no cycling.

Polder dual bulb probe.

Marc

3 1/4 hrs -       Chamber 276,  stuffing 129.  

Hoping my Expert JJ sees this and comments if were gonna die or not.

I have given all the data.

Marc

4:20 into cooking time.

Chamber 274f.

Stuffing 154f.

Spinned turkey 180,  put in big handful Mesquite chips in factory tray.

That's plenty for the whole smoke, want it light.

Womenfolk and all wanting "traditional roast turkey".

Did I stay in danger too long ??????

Marc

Just got back from work a bit ago...looks like you've been wiping some sweat off your brow.

Naw, it's gonna be fine...nobody dies today. The 40-140*/4hr guideline is just that...a recommendation from big brother. 154* in the stuffing @ 4:20 is pretty respectable considering how your chamber temp was running. The 129* @ 3:15 into the smoke was what knocked you out of the danger-zone...11* away with 45 minutes to get there. Yeah, when you drop in a large, cold mass into a smoker it really takes a hit on chamber temps for a while.

WOW!!! 52* ambient and it's running full throttle? Yep, sounds like an insulation job coming your way. Be sure to protect it from the wind...that zaps the heat worse than anything else. The cold ambient temps, sure they take their toll, but not as much as wind, snow and rain. Speaking of rain, if you can't keep all of your electrical connections, controller, etc dry, don't use it in the rain.

Enjoy that stuffed turkey!!!

Eric

Last edited:
Eric -Yes , brow sweat here due to lower cooking temp by 30 degree +  than I wanted.

No wind here fortunately.

The elect in rain is no prob, foil hood roof over the Analog control, extension cord joint up on fence, draped in foil.

I am an Electrician by trade, firm believer in GFI's.

So no Elect concerns at all past that..

Of course, the rain cools it off.

Will definitely do exterior insulation after this learning experience.   Marc

All done, panic fever over.

At 5 hours in, actually hit 10 degree overcook temps everywhere.

Good that I pulled top foil, looks great. NOT too dark at ALL.

Unplugged smoker, let rest undisturbed not opened door inside smoker 40 minutes.

Q view tommorow, after I figure out posting.    

Think we're ok, no need to call the Undertaker this time.

Yes ? No?  ?  ?

Marc

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky