Smoking 2 Turkey Breasts then Traveling the Next Day?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jc03

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Hello. I saw several threads about smoking turkeys then traveling to eat them later in the day but I'm tasked with smoking 2(6.5#) breasts tomorrow (Tuesday) then traveling back home Wednesday to eat them Thursday. Can anyone give me advice? I don't want to overcook or dry them out and I want to avoid non crisp skin as well. Thanks in advance.

Your sure making it difficult...:D
I would smoke the breasts and then put them in an oven bag with a cup of broth.
Then on Thursday reheat in the oven bag.

You can smoke them easily enough, but keeping the skin crispy is next to impossible. If I was going that route I wouldn't worry about the skin. Smoke them then vacuum seal(if you have access to one) and reheat in a pot of simmering water. You don't say how far your travelling or why you can't smoke them at home.

Chris

You can smoke them easily enough, but keeping the skin crispy is next to impossible. If I was going that route I wouldn't worry about the skin. Smoke them then vacuum seal(if you have access to one) and reheat in a pot of simmering water. You don't say how far your travelling or why you can't smoke them at home.

Chris
Thanks Chris. We're headed back to my in laws about 3 hours away. My smoker is built in so I can't take it. I don't have a vaccuum sealer either. If I cook to temp on the smoker can I reheat in the oven with them covered?

I've never tried to reheat turkey in the oven, but I would guess that it's ok. Just keep the oven at it's lowest setting. I also would think about putting it in the oven while it's pre-heating. Since it's already cooked you only need to get it warm. Someone else will hopefully chime in with more experience on re-heating turkey. When I freeze cooked turkey and bring it work at a later date I just reheat with the microwave on a lower power setting. Works for my lunch, but maybe not so much for TG dinner.

Chris

If no vac sealer, double up freezer Ziploc bags and simmer/steam with a little broth. Crisp skin, maybe get some of it back under broiler or propane torch.

This might sound funny, but I read a special on Crispy Skin about 3 days ago, and one of the ways for crispy skin was to cut it in strips & Fry it. Another was to stretch it out & Broil it.

I would keep the skin separate & do it in one of those ways at your Thursday Destination.

I would probably make the skinless Breasts on Tuesday & slice them. Then keep it Refrigerated & coolered until Thursday.

Bear

I've never tried to reheat turkey in the oven, but I would guess that it's ok. Just keep the oven at it's lowest setting. I also would think about putting it in the oven while it's pre-heating. Since it's already cooked you only need to get it warm. Someone else will hopefully chime in with more experience on re-heating turkey. When I freeze cooked turkey and bring it work at a later date I just reheat with the microwave on a lower power setting. Works for my lunch, but maybe not so much for TG dinner.

Chris
Smoke Turkey 2 hours 300-325 then insert in baking bag at hour 2 "I like 14-15 birds" until finished.
The baking bag keeps turkey moist until reheated. For reheating put in foil pan with a cup of broth, cover with foil and reheat for approximately hour...then rest and serve.

Reactions: jc03
I’m probably to late, but I would absolutely double bag if vacuum bagging is not an option, and then heat in 140 degree pan of water. A thermometer is key, but if no thermometer then heat at a low setting, simmering is to high, for an hour or 2. When I don’t have a thermometer, I figure that I can stick my finger in the water for a second or 2, it should be uncomfortable but not burn. Then if good skin is important, remove from the bag and put under the broiler for a few minutes. Crisp skin separates the men from the boys (not meant to be sexist), reheating and getting great skin separates the champions from the novices.

Don’t add a lot of broth or liquid to the bags, it dilutes the flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky