Small Collagen Sticks.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Going to split this 5 lbs with my venison buddy.

Mixed and stuffed some sticks last night. Used 2 different size casings. 15mm and 17mm. In the pic you can see the casings and the 2 tubes I use. Yes you can use the 3/8" OD tube with a LEM 5 pound stuffer. The seasoning I used was PS Seasoning stick mix #790 I did add some sodium erythrobate. The cure 1 I mix with 1 cup of water and add this first before any of the seasoning. The maet was 88/12 4 pounds and 1 pound of local sourced pork that I ground. The 15mm collagen has been vac sealed for 4 years so thats why they have the pressing still. I do not stuff collagen tight because the meat will naturally expand in the casing. I do not use any meat probes as fat can cavitate at the end and give false readings. My smoker is a Sausage Maker 30lb digital which I have removed all the original just digital controlls. I wired the element to a heavy duty extension cord and use an Auber PID to run the time/temps. I also installed the Auber circfan. Smoke today will be apple saw dust.
Anyways
Here are the pics.....

gplj70.jpg

gplj71.jpg

gplj72.jpg

gplj73.jpg

I tied the ends so no bugs get in the meat
gplj74.JPG

gplg76.jpg

gplj75.jpg

I'm looking forward to trying it out. Do you put the maze on the same side or away from the fan. Or are you using the factory chip tray?

I'm looking forward to trying it out. Do you put the maze on the same side or away from the fan. Or are you using the factory chip tray?
My dust pan is below the drip shroud, sits on 3 risers on the element, the fan is above the drip. Auber site shows how to install.

newfan1.JPG

That's how I installed mine. I thought you used a maze for smoke. I've been using the smoke tube, haven't tried the chip pan since I bent the arms up like we talked about for the factory chip tray.

That's how I installed mine. I thought you used a maze for smoke. I've been using the smoke tube, haven't tried the chip pan since I bent the arms up like we talked about for the factory chip tray.
Sometimes I do use the dust maze but I have to pull the element support up some because the maze is just a tad taller. Do you have the hole on the right side of yours with a flap?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky