Slim Jim Casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jax479

Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
Hello, we have looked for several days now to no avail ... can ANYONE please give me some information on where to find a small edible collagen casing for making snack sticks around the size of an original Slim Jim. The smallest we have found so far is about 15 mm but that is not the size of the Slim Jim. I am looking for information on casings or how to make the snack sticks so they have the small outer "shell" that makes the "snap". Thank you !

Last edited:
Dang, I did not even know they made them that small (15mm).  That would take a custom made stuffer tube for sure.  And if the mix is not very wet/loose it will be hard to cram in that little tube.

A friend of mine made me a small tube in his machine shop with stainless.

Last edited:
I can get 14mm but you will need to have a small tube with an OD of 8mm

From the casing supplier.

I have a 14mm/50' collagen for beef sticks. There are 50 sticks (2500' total) in the caddy, the price is $170 including shipping. Let me know if you want to order, thanks.

Adam

14mm casings you will need to make or have a tube made with a 5/16 OD

Do y'all think the 15mm collagen casing will fit on a 3/8" OD tube? I made 1 out of copper tubing and stainless washers. I hope copper is ok? I used it to make my last batch of hotdogs.

Do y'all think the 15mm collagen casing will fit on a 3/8" OD tube? I made 1 out of copper tubing and stainless washers. I hope copper is ok? I used it to make my last batch of hotdogs.
Going to be tight. Nothing wrong with copper cuz your running the meat thru it to fast for any corrosion to occur.

I have a 14mm/50' collagen for beef sticks. There are 50 sticks (2500' total) in the caddy, the price is $170 including shipping. Let me know if you want to order, thanks.

Adam[/QUO

Adam

Hi Adam,
I'm interested on either getting some 14mm casings or if I could get them through you.
Do you have an email I can contact you through and could give you my number as well.
Thanks in advance,
Steven

The tube I used for the stuffer tube... It's thin wall... 1/2" = 12.7mm

DSCF2188.JPG
d6b00afe_tube5.jpg

Adam
Hi, could you let me know where I can buy the 14mm? Can I buy it from you? If so please let me know your email.
Thanks

If you look at the LEM 3/8" stuffing tube, it's actually 3/8" inner diameter and much larger outside. There are some very small 9mm tubes available on eBay from several sellers. I bought one a while back and have used it with 17mm casings, but not the 15mm ones. The LEM did not work well with the 17mm tubes which is why I bought the smaller 9mm one. They have them for both the common 5lb stuffers with the 1 9/16" base and the larger stuffers with the 2 1/16" tube base.

The LEM 3/8" (12.7mm) is on the left and the 9mm one from eBay on the right in this photo

b2gpgDt.jpg

3/8" (OD) Tubes are available. I have one for my 5lb LEM. If you have plastic gears on your stuffer and want to get a 3/8" OD tube you will need to stuff slow so you dont break a gear.

Hi, could you let me know where I can buy the 14mm? Can I buy it from you? If so please let me know your email.
Thanks
$170 for 14mm is a good price. Just make sure your stuffer can handle the small 8mm tube.

we get our casings from deweid. we have a tube that stuffs them just fine. the best way we do it is soak the casings in hot water for 30 to an hour before. then after we stuff them we hang them in the smoker then hang them to airdry. we call them buck sticks

we get our casings from deweid. we have a tube that stuffs them just fine. the best way we do it is soak the casings in hot water for 30 to an hour before. then after we stuff them we hang them in the smoker then hang them to airdry. we call them buck sticks
You soak your collagen casings in hot water? or you use natural casings and soak in hot water?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky