Should I smoke a while Chicken?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stopsign32v

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 11, 2023
I need to impress some people that don't eat Pork so I'm leaning towards chicken to possibly smoke. I was thinking beer can chicken smoked with some spices...

To anyone that has smoked a chicken before can you give me some tips and trick?

Reactions: JLeonard
Are you going for how good the bird looks once smoked or how it tastes?

I've heard that beer can chicken is not that good. The can prevents heat from getting to the inside.
After hearing that I just used the rack without the can.
Whether true or not, I decided to error on the side of caution.

I would take soft butter mixed with some poultry seasoning and rub it under the breast skin.
Others will have their way of seasoning...

Spatchcocking the bird will give the most even cook, bot not the prettiest to look at.

I don't even cook whole chickens anymore. Costco has them for $5.00 already cooked.

Just my 2-cents...

Are you going for how good the bird looks once smoked or how it tastes?

I've heard that beer can chicken is not that good. The can prevents heat from getting to the inside.
After hearing that I just used the rack without the can.
Whether true or not, I decided to error on the side of caution.

I would take soft butter mixed with some poultry seasoning and rub it under the breast skin.
Others will have their way of seasoning...

Spatchcocking the bird will give the most even cook, bot not the prettiest to look at.

I don't even cook whole chickens anymore. Costco has them for $5.00 already cooked.

Just my 2-cents...

Just going for how it taste. Full disclosure I've been entered in a BBQ competition for a whole manufacturing plant and want to be respectful for the people that can't or won't eat Pork as I know a lot of people (here at least) don't.

I'm not much of a chicken person myself so I have no reservations on how I cook this thing. Have just always heard here in the south that beer can chicken is the way to go. *shrugs*

I'd follow the above advice with spatchcock chicken. Beer can does not do much and it is always a bit difficult to get them to stand up and messy clean up. You could go with Jerk, Cornell (Firehouse), Greek and it would all be tasty.

Reactions: JLinza and JLeonard
Either of the two suggestions above work good. I've done like 02ebz06 02ebz06 and used the rack without the can. In my experience the beer adds absolutely nothing to the final product. And I also like to take butter and mix a heavy load of seasoning in it and get as much under the skin as possible. Smearing the rest over the bird. And Chile is right, the spatchcook is pretty impressive looking. Either way... as Chile said 300+ degrees will give you the best skin. Otherwise, its going to be rubbery.

Jim

Reactions: 02ebz06 and JLinza
My best recommendation is to use a reliable meat probe thermometer to insure the entire bird is done. Recommended internal temps for poultry is *165.

It's been my experience that, when smoking whole, intact chickens, it's a challenge to get the white meat and the dark meat both done at the same time. I find that the breast will be done before the thighs...so that by the time the thighs reach *165, the breast meat is overcooked and dry.

IMO, like many of the others who are giving you good advice, the best way to get a chicken to cook evenly is to spatchcock it (sometimes called butterflying). And as others have said, you can smoke poultry hot and fast, at *300 or higher. If you like the skin to be crispy, that's the way to get it.

Seasonings are, of course, a personal preference thing. I like to get a light coat of SPG (salt pepper garlic) seasoning under the skin...then slather a mixture of butter, minced garlic, and poultry seasoning on the outside as it cooks. Be careful with the salt - it's pretty easy to oversalt chicken IMO.

Good luck - and be sure to let us know how yours turns out! :emoji_thumbsup:

Red

Maybe not, but thighs and drumsticks are easily manipulated into tasty treats.... lollipop legs, or doing competition style thighs in muffin pans etc etc.
Mmmmm, Competition Thighs!
Now those are good eating and a pretty impressive amount of work goes into them.
Plus they look fantastic when presented well.

Sounds like a whole Chicken isn't the easiest thing to do...Hmm...

I do mine whole or halved, spatchcocked makes it a lot easier.

Beer can chicken puts the bird on the grate vertically, with different temps at grate level than above the grate.

Spatchcock gets more even heating as it all lays flat on the grate.

Its not hard. It was my first cook on a WSM in 2002. And I smoked them on my Kettle in the 90's.

Spatchcock gets my vote. I have done beer can chicken and don't understand what all the hype is about. It didn't really bring any flavor into the meat.

You could spatchcock and inject with Tony C's creole butter injection. I like it a lot and use it in chicken, turkey, and it's also good in pork loin/tenderloin.

I like a good beer can chicken from time to time

Also can’t go wrong with wings

Spatchcock it but flip the the breast out and make it look like a toad.
IMG_5112.jpg

Please just don't stick a can up a chicken a$$ and smoke it! Temp never gits hot enough to boil/steam.

I need to impress some people that don't eat Pork so I'm leaning towards chicken to possibly smoke. I was thinking beer can chicken smoked with some spices...

To anyone that has smoked a chicken before can you give me some tips and trick?
Hi there and welcome!

The important things to know about smoking whole chicken (skin on):
  • If you don't cook it hot, you will end up with leathery/rubbery skin. I always recommend smoking at 325F smoker temp or so, for bite through or often crispy skin texture. There are some other things you can do to try and get good skin but they may be hit or miss, where higher temps simply gets the job done.
  • Brine or Inject the bird all over, especially in the breast to avoid getting a dry bird. I prefer to brine where I weigh the amount of water and weigh the chicken and add that total weight up. Then I add 1.65% (0.0165 x Total weight in grams or ounces if you don't want to use grams) and that is how much salt is needed to brine the chicken and never get too salty even if you leave it in for 2+ days or longer. This does WONDERS for a great tasting bird. If brining don't season the outside with any salt, just other seasonings minus salt. You can also brine and inect that brin solution all into the chicken while its soaking for 24-48hrs, I do this a ton for best most even results.
  • Internal Temp (IT) of the breast should not go over 165F meat temp. Basically smoke it to like 162'ish or so and then pull it out of the smoker and the chicken breast temp should rise to 165F. Every degree over 165F the breast gets, the dryer and less flavorful it will be. The dark meat (legs) can go up to 180F with no problem.
  • Smoke with the chicken vertical but no need for a full beer can in it. Drink the beer, use the can or use a vertical chicken holder rack. OR as others have mentioned, cut the back out and splay out to be a spatchcocked chicken.
  • Seasoning is simple. Salt (in the brine only or in the injection), black Pepper, Onion, Garlic, and Paprika. With salt in the brine you don't need salt anywhere else. Just season quite well with the other seasonings and you are good to go. Basically you can go pretty heavy with everything but salt and be ok.

I think whole birds provide the best smoked chicken product vs just doing pieces.
You follow this info and you will make AMAZING smoked chicken whether it's whole or pieces AND you can always tweak seasoning and go whole vertical/horizontal or spatchcocked to play around and see what you like best. Finally, chicken is the cheapest for you to play with and you can make it absolutely amazing!

I hope this info helps, ask any questions you have :D

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky