Can I smoke chicken under a chicken rack?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

comc49

Original poster
Nov 12, 2023
Hi, I'm trying to smoke chicken drumsticks on my 24-inch campchef smoker. Is it possible to cook chicken legs on the grate plus on the chicken drumstick rack? I want to cook around 40+ drumsticks.

Hi, I'm trying to smoke chicken drumsticks on my 24-inch campchef smoker. Is it possible to cook chicken legs on the grate plus on the chicken drumstick rack? I want to cook around 40+ drumsticks.
Hi there and welcome!

Yep it is absolutely possible. The drumstick rack is just a fancy way to hold the drumsticks. The rest of us just put them on the rack like you are asking about :D

Hi there and welcome!

Yep it is absolutely possible. The drumstick rack is just a fancy way to hold the drumsticks. The rest of us just put them on the rack like you are asking about :D
To clarify I want to put the rack of chicken drumsticks and under that rack, I want to put more drumsticks. Is this possible?

Do you have 2 grill racks?
Do you want to put the drumstick rack under an upper grill rack?
If so, should not be a problem.
If only one grill rack, would not recommend putting the drumstick rack under it.

Do you have 2 grill racks?
Do you want to put the drumstick rack under an upper grill rack?
If so, should not be a problem.
If only one grill rack, would not recommend putting the drumstick rack under it.
Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 11.43.33 AM.png

I just bought two racks. So I guess I can't put more chicken under them right?

Not sure how you mean this , but no problem cooking chicken over chicken , all in the same temp. so no cross spoiling

My thoughts anyway

is this kind of what you mean, I had a full smoker.
DSC_5506.JPG

12.JPG DSC_5508.JPG

DSC_5533 - Copy.JPG DSC_5534.JPG

Tasty Mac and Cheese and a side of drums

David

To clarify I want to put the rack of chicken drumsticks and under that rack, I want to put more drumsticks. Is this possible?
What DRKsmoking DRKsmoking shows with his pictures, shows basically every way possible that works. You should not have any issues doing anything he has shown :D

Reactions: DRKsmoking
DRKsmoking DRKsmoking Thank you so much this is exactly what I'm looking for!! Do you have to rotate the legs at all? I imagine the top rack will be the hottest and on the leg rack it's cooler and on the grate it's the coolest?

Reactions: DRKsmoking
DRKsmoking DRKsmoking Thank you so much this is exactly what I'm looking for!! Do you have to rotate the legs at all? I imagine the top rack will be the hottest and on the leg rack it's cooler and on the grate it's the coolest?

Yes and no.
The top rack had to be checked as yes it is hotter , but not enough for the legs that time ,
Normally yes I would move things around . But everything was so close , all were done at same time.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky