Restaurant Depot Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chisoxjim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 25, 2007
Just formed my own catering company over the past few days here in Illinois.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
Fixin' to start out small, and see how it goes targeting the spring to actually get it up and running, just getting all the paperwork and other legwork done now. I have my federal tax id number, and my state of Illinois tax id number, and have called the local Restaurant Depot, and confirmed all I need is the Illinois tax ID # to get membership. I am going to sign up on line and take advantage of the $25 discount offer they have.

My question is do they scan your card, or track what you buy? I am curious because I believe you pay no sales tax @ Restaurant Depot. Initially my purchases will be for my family, and then later on for the business, and dont want to get in any possible tax issues by doing this.

Also do they take checks, is it cash only, or are credit cards accepted?

How is the meat particularly pork from RD? There adds say its fresh pork so no injections, but how are the bb ribs? meaty?

thanks for any feedback and info

They do scan your card when you go to checkout, they take cash or if you write a check you have to use the business check that got you the membership, they might take credit cards not sure though, we never use credit cards, usually cash.

I have liked the meat so far, nice meaty ribs, brisket are Angus so far at the one I go to

I use my membership for personal use only. One of the benefits of belonging to the KCBS. They have choice and prime meats. Great selection. They do take credit and debit cards. In New Jersey meats and food goods are non taxable. I also did use the online $25 off coupon on the first visit.

I just bought two butts, two briskets and some cheese via credit. They take debit also. As far as tax...I don't know. I only buy food there and in Michigan there is no sales tax on food. I do know that you can eventually view your recipets on-line if you sign up at their web site. And they will also send you monthly fliers via email.

You arae able to go through the meat and find the cuts you want. The two briskets I bought were 10 #'s a peice and I went through about 10 of them to get the ones I liked.

The prices in my opinion are great compared to Costco so I am happy with my membership there.

great info folks, keep it coming. I have heard good things about them, and their prices look really good for the bottom line sales wise.

You can set it up where you don't pay any taxes but you have to have a tax exempt card too. Now I own my own bussiness (drywall) and I got a card with no problem at all. Now when I go in I just scan my card and I'm off and running and then just pay it with a credit card and it's a bussiness card too.

What they all said............

I did buy a prime grade rib roast there that was bad.....$138
mad.gif
.......they refunded the %100 of the money no hassle. Out side of that one instance, I have been very happy with the quality of meat I have gotten there.

thanks,

I was wondering about sales tax on purchases since I will be reselling the product, and have a state tax id number. I guess I will find out when I make my first visit in the next couple weeks.

They have always charge me tax on items that are taxable. I'm not sure about other states, but here all equipment is taxed unless it changes the molecular structure of a product (ie ovens, microwaves etc.).

Several years ago I ran a retail business in Illinois for quite a few years....always had an accountant do the tax thing.....but I do remember somewhere down the line either after inventory or whenever you had to declare how much of your product was used for your personal use! This was taxable...........just remember the cheapest and most important thing in the long run you can have is an accountant.....and of course a lawyer for questions when needed. DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF LETTING YOUR LAWYER ADVISE YOU ON YOUR MONEY AND YOUR ACCOUNTANT ADVISE YOU ON YOUR LEGAL NEEDS !!! Good food for thought.....

Q Dawg

Got my State and Federal Tax ID number already... gotta love how quick applications get processed when doing them on the internet. Catering besuiness is almost ready to go, just got a couple loose ends to tie up.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I pre-registered online @ Restaurant Depot, and will make my first visit Friday, $25 off coupon in tow. Fixin to stock up on some butts, bb's, lump, and whatever else catches my eye. Interested to see how their pork stacks up to my other sources.

thanks for all the info, probably going in with cash since I havent set up a bank account for my business yet.

Jim,
For your tax questions it will vary from state to state, county to county or even city by city in some places and you really should get this answer from a CPA or other tax professional that understands the local laws. I say this as a guy who owns his own business and knows that these things have a lot of "grey areas". So it's better to be safe than sorry. Hate to see you start a new biz then get audited and shut down before you even get off the ground.

Things like buying for personal use (from the Iowa law perspective) is something that you would pay sales tax on since it's not for resale. Even if you were to say that it's research and you're perfecting recipies, they consider that internal company use (not for resale) and that is something that you pay sales tax on.

I know I'm not on the topic of Resturant Depot anymore but for instance when I buy CDs, DVDs, Videotapes, etc for my company I don't pay sales tax when I order them from my supplier. However when I file my monthly sales tax usage report I list a total of how much I sold for the period then how much of that was for resale (non-taxable), how much was sold to the end user (taxable) and how much was goods used internally (taxable). Goods used internally include items that had to be destroyed (like if I made a mistake and ruined a batch of discs) no matter who they were intended to be used for. I can tell them whatever I want. But if I ever get audited and they want to do an inventory of what's in-stock vs what I've ordered vs what I've sold and billed to customers, I've got to be able to prove that or pay up the difference in sales taxes plus any penalties.

Sorry for the long winded message. Good luck to ya, hope the biz takes off big time for you. Will you cater to Des Moines?

Your biz will be different with "leftovers" and what-not. But I just like to live by the better-safe-than-sorry rule for stuff like this.

thanks Dude,

chatted with a accountant so I have those questions I posed upthread answered.

just going to start small, and see where it goes. I will be doing all the cooking on a new 22" WSM to start, and maybe add more WSM's later.

I'm no expert but in most situations you don't pay tax on *unprepared* food items. If they are prepared then you start running into tax issues....

Easy way to find out is to go to your local grocery store and pick up some meat and look at your receipt for tax - then you know for sure.

Other items will and should be taxed unless your tax exempt. When I go to my local SAMS, they ask me if I'm tax exempt when purchasing so if its for the biz, then I say yes. If personal, then I say no....

damn..., I was going to buy those preboiled/prebaked/presauced ribs and reheat & sell those..
icon_wink.gif

I just stopped by the one in Alsip just to see what they were all about.

The cooler was just way too cool. There were some cuts of meat that I had to right down and reserch because I never heard of them.

I did not know you could sign up on line. Something to do on Friday.

I'm jelous becuase I don't have that around these parts...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky