Freeze/thaw or fridge - Prime Ribeye?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
So... here's my quandary :)

Restaurant Depot near me has a good price on boneless prime ribeye roasts ($11.39/lb for Black Angus); they are cryovac packaged and about 20-22 lbs. I will be smoking one (though I cut into 2 pieces to get 4 ends) on September 24th but picking them up on the 14th.

My understanding is that I could keep in fridge for about 6 days, but that would mean smoking it by the 20th. Do I push fridge store until the 24th (prepping it on the 23rd), or do I freeze it, then take it out on the 20th or 21st as it'll need that much time to fridge thaw?

Reactions: JLeonard
Cryovac packaging will keep in the fridge for several weeks, no problem.
As long as the fridge is between 36 and 40 degrees . I keep mine at 36 , and have an alarmed wireless therm keeping an eye on it .
GrumpyGriller GrumpyGriller check and see if it has the packed and sell by dates on it .
Here's an example from the last one I bought . You can see there are several days between the two .
1694526040656.png

Reactions: GrumpyGriller
Thanks all - as usual!!!

Going to be an expensive RD trip :) 20+ lb. Ribeye and 4 7-9 lb. Pork Butts!!!

Smoking Allowed Smoking Allowed has you covered. When you place your order, tell them you need something in the 2.5+ weeks of age range (the kill date is printed on the cases). Then you can either delay your pick-up date, or wet age at home. The last Christmas party I cooked for we did the same thing and got roasts with 20+ days on them. I did a close trim on them and they were wonderful.
Z0lA59z.jpg

Reactions: Smoking Allowed
Smoking Allowed Smoking Allowed has you covered. When you place your order, tell them you need something in the 2.5+ weeks of age range (the kill date is printed on the cases). Then you can either delay your pick-up date, or wet age at home. The last Christmas party I cooked for we did the same thing and got roasts with 20+ days on them. I did a close trim on them and they were wonderful.
View attachment 675967
Thanks - I will be heading to RD tomorrow so I can check the dates and see if they are in range of what you suggested.

Thanks - I will be heading to RD tomorrow so I can check the dates and see if they are in range of what you suggested.
Assuming RD is Restaurant Depot, you should have access to cases to sort through. the Denver store has cases on pallets below the meat shelf. Remember to take a jacket, the cold rooms are cold.
6Wd90gr.jpg

View attachment 675967
Those look fantastic and I'm sure they tasted even better.

Assuming RD is Restaurant Depot, you should have access to cases to sort through. the Denver store has cases on pallets below the meat shelf. Remember to take a jacket, the cold rooms are cold.
View attachment 675969
Yes - I was referring to Restaurant Depot - I'll check the cases when I pick up. And yeah, they are indeed cold :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky