Question on COSTCO cryovac St. Louis Style ribs expiration date

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Princeton, MN
How long would COSTCO cryovac papckaged St. Louis style ribs be good for after the "packaged on date" on the package? I know thier briskets can be aged for a month or more but am not sure on their ribs. I have some ribs that were packaged May 30th with a jun 6th sell by date. Bought them on June 4th and put them in the freezer on June 11th. I took them out on June 16th to thaw in the fridge. Should they still be good?

Reactions: JLeonard
I don't see a problem. "Sell by" dates are not "Use by" dates and even those have fudge factors.
Meat not as much as things in bottle and cans.

Most of the "Use by" dates you find on items in the fridge and pantry are for marketing.
They want you to throw stuff out and buy more.

I found a couple of steaks in the back of the freezer that had been in there almost 5 years.
They were still good.

I don't see a problem. "Sell by" dates are not "Use by" dates and even those have fudge factors.
Meat not as much as things in bottle and cans.

Most of the "Use by" dates you find on items in the fridge and pantry are for marketing.
They want you to throw stuff out and buy more.

I found a couple of steaks in the back of the freezer that had been in there almost 5 years.
They were still good.
I have this argument all the time with my wife, every once in a while she cleans out the fridge by dates and buys it all over again. If it is not green and smells good I use it.

I have some ribs that were packaged May 30th with a jun 6th sell by date. Bought them on June 4th and put them in the freezer on June 11th. I took them out on June 16th to thaw in the fridge.
Is it a single rack , or 3 racks vac'd together ? ( traps bacteria in between the racks )
The dates sound off to me . Packed on 5/30 and sell by 6/6 ?
Some of this will depend on how cold you keep your fridge , and how fast it froze .
You were already passed when you went in the freezer , plus you should add the days it takes to thaw to how far past the sell by you are .
You will know when you open the seal . If they are sticky to the touch and the normal smell doesn't fade in a few minutes I would be cautious .

Their briskets are the same. They wil be in the store 3-4 days after packaging with a sell date of 5-6 days later

I was concerned for inventory of baby back ribs for 4th of July weekend at CostCo, so we purchased three triple packs on Thursday, 29 June, that had a sell by date of 4 July when we will be cooking them. Figured that being in the refrigerator would keep everything okay.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky