St. Louis Style Pork Ribs - the simplest way - as taught to me by @SmokinAl

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
@SmokinAl changed the way I did ribs a few years ago. We like this smoking recipe just fine because it is so easy and it doesn't take a lot of fiddling with the smoker or the ribs.

I bought St. Louis Style ribs because they were cheaper than baby back and pork spare ribs...but any of them will do. Buy whatever is on sale.
  • I use an MES40 set at 260F (usually set between 250F-275F)
  • No water in the pan - ever
  • AMNPS - hickory
  • I never remove the membrane and these ribs needed no trimming
  • They were seasoned with SPG about 3 hours prior to smoking, wrapped in foil, and then back into the fridge
  • I only wrap them in foil "during the smoke" if I am in a hurry
  • Ribs are always served naked with BBQ sauce on-the-side
This is what they looked like at 12:30 when I popped them in the preheated smoker (below) and final pic's will be ready in 2 or 3 more hours.

IMG_0122.jpg

Reactions: drdon
Eddie, I'm waiting and watching.

Al's 195° method yields consistently tender/juicy ribs.
Yesterday while cooking my Link >>> Al Pastor Ribs
I checked IT during my usual Pop, Bend and Crack test, and they were right in that range when I pulled the two smaller racks.
The larger/thicker rack went to 200°.

Al's 195° method yields consistently tender/juicy ribs.

chilerelleno chilerelleno - If only my wife would let me pull them at 195F...she likes them best when the meat falls off the bone, around 202F-205F.

Your ribs looked awesome on the link you posted above. My ribs will look very plain/naked compared to them ha-ha.

chilerelleno chilerelleno - If only my wife would let me pull them at 195F...she likes them best when the meat falls off the bone, around 202F-205F.

Your ribs looked awesome on the link you posted above. My ribs will look very plain/naked compared to them ha-ha.
Guess I'm lucky there, everybody in my family happily takes them aby wsy they get'em.

Thanks Eddie,
considering I prefer straight dry rub ribs all my ribs usually look plain/naked too.
I normally might glaze a rack or two a year by special request.
That could be changing with these, I'm gonna tweak'em a bit for some deeper, more complex flavors and if that works out, they'll be on the regular roster.

Here are the finished ribs. Pulled them at 199F ... total smoke time was 5 hrs even. They were so good, we ate them with no sauce. I would have said we ate them naked but, that sounds wrong haha.

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

Wow, those are some pretty ribs... I am getting away from saucing ribs myself these days. A light rub before going into the fridge overnight (if possible) and going Memphis on them as soon as they are out of the smoker. I had never "re-rubbed" my ribs before but now sauce is really optional as there is amazing flavor. Thanks to all that have led me to the dark side of no sauce! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky