PIA Piri Piri Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I like Piri Piri Chicken a lot. It is spicy, savoury and so different from other barbecued chicken dishes. I have made several different versions over the years but I have never really put my mind to making the best I could using all the techniques. It was time to change that.

I decided to start by using a method that makes the best chicken. Unfortunately, that meant using my PIA (pain in the pants) method. It involves removing the skin, scraping the fat off and then replacing the skin. Then you cook the chicken in butter and oil before smoking or grilling. All of it is a royal PIA but it gives a wonderful moist chicken with tender skin that bites through when you eat the chicken instead of pulling off.

If you are going for the best, really go for it.

I decided to really layer on the flavours. Piri Piri is a dish that is served in many countries and with many variations. The one thing they all have in common is using a hot red pepper (usually one from Africa) for heat and colour.

Not many of us have access to African peppers, particularly if you live in the Canadian Rockies. In the past, I have done a dry version using cayenne for the hot pepper. I have also done wet sauce versions using jalapenos and or Sriracha for the heat. Both turn out great so why not use both?

I also note, some Piri Piri has a lot of lemon. I like lemon in my Piri Piri so it was going to be a flavour layer.

I started by making a dry Piri Piri Spice.

I mixed:

• 2 ml (1/2 tsp) paprika
  • 1 ml (1/4 tsp) oregano
  • 1 ml (1/4 tsp) cardamom
  • 1 ml (1/4 tsp) ginger
  • 1 ml (1/4 tsp) garlic powder
  • 1 ml (1/4 tsp) onion powder
  • 1 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
  • 1 ml (1/4 tsp) cayenne
PIA Piri Piri Chicken 01.jpg

Then I wanted some Piri Piri Sauce. This recipe makes a little over 1 cup which is more than you need for this recipe but it is great as a sauce on many dishes. I put the following in a blender:

• 125 ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
  • 50 ml (1/4 cup) lemon juice
  • 1/2 sweet red pepper, diced
  • 1/2 large or 1 small jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, diced
  • 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoon) paprika
  • 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground ginger
  • 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) dried basil
  • 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt
  • 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) dried oregano
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) ground pepper
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) ground coriander
  • 2 to 10 ml (1/2 to 2 teaspoons) Sriracha
I processed until I had a smooth sauce.

PIA Piri Piri Chicken 03.jpg

Here is where I had a quandry. You’ll note there is a range of Sriracha sauce. I started with 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon). The mixture had a nice mild building heat. I would have liked more but I have to consider She Who Must Be Obeyed and settled on 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon). Keeping the woman in your life happy is a good thing.

If you use 10 ml (2 teaspoons) it will be fiery hot like the traditional Piri Piri. I suggest adding 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) at a time and stopping when you get to a heat level you like.

Now I start to get into the PIA part. I had five chicken thighs. You could easily do up to 8 with this recipe. They were on sale. I suspect that is because they had been machine processed and looked like the chicken lost a knife fight.

I pulled the skin off the thigh and used a sharp knife at a low angle to scrape the fat off the inside of the skin. You will note the fat forms a paste that coats your knife. I suggest you make two scrapes and then wipe the blade or it will clog up with fat.

Rub some of the spice mixture onto the thigh meat. Wrap the skin around the thigh and sprinkle the skin with more of the spice mix.

PIA Piri Piri Chicken 02.jpg

Normally, I would put oil and melted butter in a roasting pan and then put the thighs in it. But I wanted more lemon flavour so I put 50 ml (1/4 cup) each of oil, melted butter and lemon juice in a small roasting pan.

I put the chicken thighs, skin side down, in the mixture.

I covered the pan with foil and put it in a preheated 275 F smoker for 45 minutes.

PIA Piri Piri Chicken 04.jpg

Take the foil off the pan and turn the thighs in the oil mixture so the bottom side is dipped in the oil. Put the thighs directly on the grill, skin side up.

Cook for 45 minutes and make sure the internal temperature is over 175 F. Brush both sides of the thighs with the sauce and put it back on the grill. Cook until the sauce is set, ten to fifteen minutes.

PIA Piri Piri Chicken 05.jpg

Remove from the grill and let them rest for 5 minutes before serving.

PIA Piri Piri Chicken 06.jpg

The Verdict

MMMM! These aren’t the sticky, sweet barbecue chicken you are used to. There are complex layers of savoury, lemon tart and spicy flavours. The spicy doesn’t hit you right away but slowly builds in your mouth. The chicken is moist and takes up the flavours beautifully. The skin is bite through tender and doesn’t pull of the thighs as you eat them.

If these weren’t a PIA I would make them often. Dang, I will likely make them often as they taste so good.

Disco

Last edited:
These looks great. This kind of chicken recently became my favorite chicken dish for good reason. Love the lemon in it too!

Damn David, those look fabulous.
Got try these sometime, they sound delicious.
Like!

Thanks, Chile. This is high praise from you. You are the master of layering flavours!

These looks great. This kind of chicken recently became my favorite chicken dish for good reason. Love the lemon in it too!

Thanks. I am addicted to Piri Piri of all kinds.!

Reactions: JCAP
Looks really good.

I don't understand why you laboriously remove the chicken fat and subsequently replaced it with olive oil and butter.

If you really want the flavor of Piri Piri then move past the cayenne and jalapeno. Use Asian chilies, Thai birds eye if you can find them.

Looks awesome disco, My daughter and I would eat that right up. However the wife(who sweats eating BBQ potato chips) may not be into it.

Point for sure
Chris

Terrific write up Sir. It does look labor intensive but the end results look fantastic. When we were in South Africa the ladies that made this for us peeled back the skin on whole chickens, inserted the spices, put them over open fires for some time, then in a clay oven for just a few minutes. Ohhhhhhhhhh so good. Love that Piri Piri flavor. Never knew what the spices were. Thanks for the recipe!

Awesome as its always done by the Northern expert.
One question I don't see the MGD anywhere in the recipe did I miss something?

Warren

I don't understand why you laboriously remove the chicken fat and subsequently replaced it with olive oil and butter.

If you really want the flavor of Piri Piri then move past the cayenne and jalapeno. Use Asian chilies, Thai birds eye if you can find them.
Removing the fat from the skin enables you to get a fairly crisp skin with clean bite through consistency.
It's the same technique used by BBQ competition chefs to get the perfect bite of chicken for the Judges.
And they too add fat in the form of butter, some cooking in straight butter in same manner shown here sans lemon.

Nice post!

I find that using Chile Tepin peppers for Piri Piri sauce is very close to using African Birdseye. I have a source for the Chile Tepin.
However I HAVE seen on ebay a few business selling both kinds of peppers so if you wanted to buy a kilo or so you should be able to get them for a decent prices... provided you can get them in Canada. My experience is strictly US based so not sure if there are any issues with you seeing and buying them.

Looks really good.

As Chile points out, the scraping of the fat off the skin makes a very tender bite through skin that doesn't pull from the meat on eating. This is enhanced by cooking the skin side down in butter/oil which renders further fat off the skin. If you don't do it, it will be tasty but the skin will not be as tender.

As for using Asian chilies, I live in a rural area of the Canadian Rockies. My access to various kinds of peppers is very limited and I have to make do with what is available.

Looks awesome disco, My daughter and I would eat that right up. However the wife(who sweats eating BBQ potato chips) may not be into it.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks, Chris. If you only use the 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) of Sriracha it just has some mild follow up heat that even She Who Must Be Obeyed can tolerate.

Terrific write up Sir. It does look labor intensive but the end results look fantastic. When we were in South Africa the ladies that made this for us peeled back the skin on whole chickens, inserted the spices, put them over open fires for some time, then in a clay oven for just a few minutes. Ohhhhhhhhhh so good. Love that Piri Piri flavor. Never knew what the spices were. Thanks for the recipe!

Oh my, that sounds wonderful. I would love to experience that!

Awesome as its always done by the Northern expert.
One question I don't see the MGD anywhere in the recipe did I miss something?

Warren

Nope. I can't have any kind of alcohol in videos that will be on my TV show. Life sucks sometimes.

Removing the fat from the skin enables you to get a fairly crisp skin with clean bite through consistency.
It's the same technique used by BBQ competition chefs to get the perfect bite of chicken for the Judges.
And they too add fat in the form of butter, some cooking in straight butter in same manner shown here sans lemon.

Thanks, Chile! Your answer is spot on.

Nice post!

I find that using Chile Tepin peppers for Piri Piri sauce is very close to using African Birdseye. I have a source for the Chile Tepin.
However I HAVE seen on ebay a few business selling both kinds of peppers so if you wanted to buy a kilo or so you should be able to get them for a decent prices... provided you can get them in Canada. My experience is strictly US based so not sure if there are any issues with you seeing and buying them.
Amazon doesn't do fresh produce in Canada. I love living here in the mountains but there are sacrifices you make and needing to substitute for some exotic ingredients is one of them but I get by!

Will this show be available in the States? Maybe on an Internet channel? Whats the the name of the show?
The name of the program is "You Can Make It"
The most recent shows are available on the Shaw Community Link You Tube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZJQN2t4puyrydu271usKnQ) under the Northern & Interior BC subsection.

All the episodes are linked from my blog and my vlog on youtube.

I should note the Canadian Insomniacs have recommended the program for the sleep deprived.

Reactions: chilerelleno
Thanks for the tutorial chilirelleno and disco.

Disco, are you a home gardener? I can send you pepper seeds (clandestine) through the mail.

Piri Piri is in the same family as Tabasco and Cayenne. I find the Asian varieties better match the heat and flavor of Piri Piri even though they are in a different family. I cook more Asian (outside of North American) so that is the pepper varieties I grow in the garden.

Those flavors sound amazing. I love cardamom in savory foods. It would be really fun to work this recipe into a piri piri chicken sausage. Maybe with some sort of peppery aioli on the side.

Thanks for the tutorial chilirelleno and disco.

Disco, are you a home gardener? I can send you pepper seeds (clandestine) through the mail.

Piri Piri is in the same family as Tabasco and Cayenne. I find the Asian varieties better match the heat and flavor of Piri Piri even though they are in a different family. I cook more Asian (outside of North American) so that is the pepper varieties I grow in the garden.

That is generous. I am a home gardener and can get pepper seeds through mail order. The problem is my home is in the Canadian Rockies and growing peppers is a challenge with the short growing season. I have tried again this year and it isn't looking good. We had a cool wet July and I am not hopeful.

I do get some better ingredients when I go to the big smoke but I don't like big cities and don't do it often.

Those flavors sound amazing. I love cardamom in savory foods. It would be really fun to work this recipe into a piri piri chicken sausage. Maybe with some sort of peppery aioli on the side.

That does sound great! Give it a try!

Looks damned delicious Disco!!! I’ve had bottled Piri Piri sauce before and loved it.

Thanks! I have partaken of the occasional bottle of Piri Piri as well!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky