Patiently Waiting, first go with the new stuffer!

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by dirtsailor2003, Jan 16, 2015.

1. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

So we're only a few minutes away from starting the first batch of sausage in the new LEM 5#. My 8 year old has been involved in every aspect so far and has declared that his job is cranking the handle. We'll see how long that lasts! Was going to do BC's pepperoni sticks but was given a store bought mix and decided I best use it since we have it.

waterinholebrew likes this.
  2. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Watching. I can learn something from you.

3. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

I'm in...

4. dirtsailor2003

Okay Adam here ya go, lesson number one, an eight year old when determined can power out a five pound stuffer a bit too fast! We had one blow out, but he ran the crank the whole way!

Got it all stuffed and hanging in the garage waiting till tomorrow. Then smoke on!

Couple close ups of how the stuffer is mounted to the board. This will get another mod but for a few stuffs this is how it's going to be. I will seal the board with the same epoxy I use for building boats once I make the final table.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    nwsmoker and crankybuzzard like this.
  5. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Lookin good Case, I'm in !

:beercheer:

6. dirtsailor2003

Thanks Justin! Into the smoke tomorrow!

7. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

So if he let you stay helpping to the end, it sounds like you wre hustling pretty good.

Looks pretty good, what type of casing?

So are we having pepperoni pizza on the Mini tonight?

8. dirtsailor2003

Yep had me running! Collagen casings, 21mm.

No pizza these will be snack sticks. My helper did make his first bread last night. Foccacia, to go with the lasagna I made. It turned out awesome! He's well on his way to becoming a great cook!

9. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Awesome Case, I love smokin, stuffing or cooking with my kiddos.... Ya had some great help...Nothin like havin a sidekick ! Thumbs Up

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  10. dirtsailor2003

Yep, it's the only way to cook, gotta have those little sous chefs running around under foot! Mine are growing up too fast! The oldest doesn't want to help anymore. The little guy wants to open a bakery. He plans on calling it "Sweet Breads". I haven't told him the other meaning of sweet breads yet...

11. dirtsailor2003

Well going to let the pepperoni hang a bit longer. Massive downpour going on outside right now! Give it a few hours and hopefully it will quit so I can load the smoker without taking a shower at the same time!

12. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yes, I agree definately needs a longer hang time for the spices to marry (I bet the cook agrees), the rain just has nothing to do with it.....<Chuckles>

So till then we dance!  [​IMG]   [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  

13. dirtsailor2003

He's only been up for an hour and has only asked me a hundred or so times if it's time to put it in the smoker!!! We have errands to run so it'll get into the smoke this afternoon.

14. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Once you get used to the crank type stuffer, you'll never go back to the grinder with the kidney plate and tubes!

I like the idea of the board running the width of the counter for a base. I clamp mine directly to a board on the countertop, but it does get loose. I'm thinking ill plagiarize your idea!

Points for the ingenuity!

15. dirtsailor2003

Thank you! It's not quite done yet. I'm going to set up the rest of the table this week. It still will be portable and have to be clamped to a table or countertop.

I never have used the grinder stuffer combo. Only jerky guns, and my beastly Enterprise stuffer cider press. That thing is a good old stuffer, but it leaked way to much at the cast iron plunger so you had to Mcguiver the thing to keep all the meat from gushing out the top! Not to mention the thing is a beast to crank and handle and clean! The LEM is awesome!

16. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Lookin good so far glad you are jumping in.......

DS

17. dirtsailor2003

Mr Patiently waiting found this in the supply box.

[​IMG]

So a quick trip to the store and 6 more pounds of meat has us prepping some summer sausage to smoke tomorrow.

[​IMG]

My wife's gonna freak when she gets home!!!!

Smoke away!!!

leakyspoon likes this.
  18. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wife should be happy. Your keeping your son busy and educational experience.

19. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

DS, nice looking sausage and enjoy your helpers company before he has other interests!

20. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

its great to get the kids involved...

I'm guessing you're using beef? Excuse if I missed this somewhere...