First Batch With My Stuffer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Long time ago I decided I was gonna make sausage, and oh boy have I been procrastinating. I looked up my order history at LEM and I bought this stuffer and tubes almost 3 years ago. I was just being a sissy about stuffing it by myself thinking I couldn't both crank and hold the casing. Said screw it..

So what happened? I thawed a butt to smoke last Saturday but the weather told me that was out. I decided since I just bought the new grinder that some bulk Italian was the plan. That all changed when I saw the bottle of cane syrup from indaswamp indaswamp family sausage recipe thread. I bought in on Amazon with every intention of making it. Procrastinators unite... tomorrow! I was just going to make it in bulk and freeze 1 lb bags for patties etc. Well I screwed up when making it. After going over the thread and checking the measurements I came down to 1/2 TBS of syrup per pound. I had 6 lbs 3 oz so i figured that six half tablespoons of syrup would be a great starting point. Well... I grabbed the tablespoon, not the 1/2 and yep... 6 TBS of cane syrup into the mix. Fried up a test pattie, and it browned just a little/lot more than I cared for... great flavor but the sugar was burning. I tossed it in the fridge and decided that now was the time to link up some sausage. If I'm gonna fail lets go big. The only casings I had were purchased from the sausage maker. The smallest quantity they had was the home pack of hog casings 32-38mm. Didn't wanna buy a large batch until I figured this out.

I normally smoke my brats and italians etc on the pellet pooper up to temp so they never see direct heat / flame so the sugar excess wasn't going to be an issue.

So this is how it worked out. I flushed / rinsed the heck out of the casings several times and then soaked overnight in the fridge with some baking soda mixed in the water. Had zero trouble getting the casings on the horn. It was touch and go at first but my left hand finally got the hang of it. I had to work the two ropes a little after stuffing before tying off to even out the size, but seems to me it worked out in the end. Pricked out the air pockets and then gave them an overall stabbing with the sausage pricker.

20231204_174230.jpg

Ok... my linking needs work, but even those fat looking ones didn't burst on the smoker so I'm calling it a win.

20231204_181125.jpg

Threw them in the garage fridge overnight. Wow did the whole garage and fridge smell awesome.

20231205_063051.jpg

Cut them apart and there's the finished product. Looks like I'm a virgin no more and now it's game on.

20231205_165102.jpg

I tossed a few on the pellet pooper with some wings last night and they came out perfectly. I have a pic somewhere of that, but thats far more typing than I do in a year. If you made it this far, thanks for looking and happy Friday.

Heck of a first run. Looks great. Makes all that procrastination seem silly now huh? It’s fun and rewarding. You are hooked now.

Reactions: mr_whipple
Really nice !! They look perfect . If you go overnight in the fridge , throw some plastic wrap over them .
Really nice . I've done close to 50 pounds over the last month , and bought another pork butt today to make some Italian . Goes fast .

I'm no expert....But they look dang good to me! I could figure a few ways to put away a couple of them.

Jim
Thanks!

Nice work! I'm going on two years of putting it off myself lol
I hear ya. Story of my life.

Heck of a first run. Looks great. Makes all that procrastination seem silly now huh? It’s fun and rewarding. You are hooked now.
Thanks! Yep... One day I'll grow up and stop doubting myself... and yes, more to follow!

Really nice !! They look perfect . If you go overnight in the fridge , throw some plastic wrap over them .
Really nice . I've done close to 50 pounds over the last month , and bought another pork butt today to make some Italian . Goes fast .
Thank you! Hadn't thought about the plastic wrap.

Interesting....I've never stuffed or smoked the family recipe breakfast sausage. Glad you finally pulled the trigger and got going making sausages.
Well... you probably didn't overdose them with the cane syrup either 🤣
I just didn't want burnt sausage patties from the sugar. I'll be making more but with the correct amount of syrup. Tasty stuff.

Reactions: indaswamp
Yours look fine , but it can really dry out the surface uncovered in the fridge for to long .
Just a suggestion .
Thanks. I didn't notice the casing being too dry even after the spin on the pellet pooper, but I'll keep my eye on this in the future.

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks great.
I think this isn't your first rodeo?

I make measuring errors in every batch. (Got this CRS thing.)
So far my wife hasn't complained.
She just says "That tasted a little diferent. Not good or bad."

Grinding up a butt tonight to make 2-3 batches of bulk sausage and freeze the rest for future.

Interesting....I've never stuffed or smoked the family recipe breakfast sausage. Glad you finally pulled the trigger and got going making sausages.
My wife and I do mostly bulk breakfast sausage for patties.
I do stuff a few batches and cook out in the pellet pooper, too.
The pellet pooper doesn't really add much smoke flavor.
Handy to nuke in the morning and toss in a brat bun for a breakfast sandwich

For the first time out. You did a very nice job of it.
Thanks!

Hopefully it won't take me as long...😉
Well, what can I say.. I'm a slow starter. Take the leap, you won't be sorry!

Looks great.
I think this isn't your first rodeo?

I make measuring errors in every batch. (Got this CRS thing.)
So far my wife hasn't complained.
She just says "That tasted a little diferent. Not good or bad."

Grinding up a butt tonight to make 2-3 batches of bulk sausage and freeze the rest for future.

My wife and I do mostly bulk breakfast sausage for patties.
I do stuff a few batches and cook out in the pellet pooper, too.
The pellet pooper doesn't really add much smoke flavor.
Handy to nuke in the morning and toss in a brat bun for a breakfast sandwich
For real... first time. Bulk is all I've done up until now. I'm still going to but this has been a goal so here we go! To my measurement mistake, I blame it on the fact that every ingredient on my notepad was in metric weights except the syrup. Took me out of my zone so to speak.

Some fine looking links there Mr Whipple, nice work! I make marks on my sausage board with a felt pen, usually 7", so I know right where to pinch them and twist or tie. Looks a little better when the links are all the same length, appearance counts. RAY

View attachment 682930

View attachment 682931
Thanks! I did close to the same thing with my cutting board except I just put a mark on the edge and used the end as the other side. I have a very small kitchen with less than optimal layout for this. I've got a few ideas for the next go round, and yes.. appearance is everything! I can hear Billy Crystal in my head... Remember, it is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous :emoji_laughing:

Well done Chris, and they look great also. Well worth waiting for .

Butt funny how we can intimidate ourselves into or out of something, and once we do it . what a rush, :emoji_wink: :emoji_wink:

David
Thanks David! You would think at my age I'd be over that sort of behavior 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Mr. Whipple, I'd say you're off and running into your new addiction.
Looks pretty darn good for your first shot.

Reminds me of my first solo sausage run with my grandfather hovering over me. After the third sausage burst from overloading, he glared at me and in a heavy German accent said "vhat are you stooperd or someting?"
The man had a way with words.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky