pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jpayer

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 25, 2013
Northwest Indiana
37918553-E5D3-4414-8707-C7E21A01A453.jpeg
Boy it’s been a while since I’ve posted! I’ve been lurking for too long looking at all this wonderful smoked meat. I’ve decided to do some pastrami using my BTMLE.

CC1D310B-7089-4C88-A065-3DE35CF8CDEC.jpeg
They are both store bought corned beefs. The one on the left I forgot to apply the spicy brown mustard before rubbing (oops) but remembered before rubbing the one on the right.

82D25FA6-1E51-4F67-A871-66EE2877F103.jpeg

Using some cherry wood scraps I got from a friends sawmill and cut them into planks. Sure is nice to know people . I plan on smoking to 200 IT. I’ll keep you posted!

Reactions: gmc2003
I'm in, jpayer! Just did a Pastrami last weekend, also with store bought. Gotta take advantage of the St Patty's sales, right?
I did mine in a Sous Vide instead of the smoker, though. Too cold out for me to tend the offset :rolleyes:

Watching....

I'm in, jpayer! Just did a Pastrami last weekend, also with store bought. Gotta take advantage of the St Patty's sales, right?
I did mine in a Sous Vide instead of the smoker, though. Too cold out for me to tend the offset :rolleyes:

Watching....
Yeah we got a break in the weather here in northwest Indiana. This 44 degree weather feels like 60! I need to get a Sous Vide. I see too many awesome things done with it.

64AE1306-EA9F-46CF-8E2A-333F973C75BE.jpeg
IT is at 149. Smelling fantastic. Decided to throw on 2 t-bones and a porterhouse seasoned with Montreal and some Lea & Perkins and do a reverse sear for dinner tonight. Can’t wait!

Boy that looks good. You'll be eating well for a few days.

Point for sure.

Chris

938F5753-D441-43E5-ACBF-5B3D448880B8.jpeg
Wow I feel like a jerk! Took pictures the morning after the smoke and completely forgot to post them. I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me :). Finished up the pastrami just after midnight. Wrapped it and threw it in the refrigerator overnight. It turned out a little salty (didn’t soak in water before smoking) but evened out once I piled it on some rye with mustard. All in all it was good, nice smoke. Will definitely pre-soak before the smoke next time.

Looks good! Points for sure!

Also, I grew up in northwest Indiana and do not miss the winters, except sledding in the dunes!

The Dunes are a family favorite! We are lucky to be only 15 minuets from such beauty. The winters never seem to end! Come on summer!

Do you do a water soak at all to reduce the salt levels before smokin?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky