pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jpayer

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 25, 2013
Northwest Indiana
37918553-E5D3-4414-8707-C7E21A01A453.jpeg
Boy it’s been a while since I’ve posted! I’ve been lurking for too long looking at all this wonderful smoked meat. I’ve decided to do some pastrami using my BTMLE.

CC1D310B-7089-4C88-A065-3DE35CF8CDEC.jpeg
They are both store bought corned beefs. The one on the left I forgot to apply the spicy brown mustard before rubbing (oops) but remembered before rubbing the one on the right.

82D25FA6-1E51-4F67-A871-66EE2877F103.jpeg

Using some cherry wood scraps I got from a friends sawmill and cut them into planks. Sure is nice to know people . I plan on smoking to 200 IT. I’ll keep you posted!

Reactions: gmc2003
I'm in, jpayer! Just did a Pastrami last weekend, also with store bought. Gotta take advantage of the St Patty's sales, right?
I did mine in a Sous Vide instead of the smoker, though. Too cold out for me to tend the offset :rolleyes:

Watching....

I'm in, jpayer! Just did a Pastrami last weekend, also with store bought. Gotta take advantage of the St Patty's sales, right?
I did mine in a Sous Vide instead of the smoker, though. Too cold out for me to tend the offset :rolleyes:

Watching....
Yeah we got a break in the weather here in northwest Indiana. This 44 degree weather feels like 60! I need to get a Sous Vide. I see too many awesome things done with it.

64AE1306-EA9F-46CF-8E2A-333F973C75BE.jpeg
IT is at 149. Smelling fantastic. Decided to throw on 2 t-bones and a porterhouse seasoned with Montreal and some Lea & Perkins and do a reverse sear for dinner tonight. Can’t wait!

Boy that looks good. You'll be eating well for a few days.

Point for sure.

Chris

938F5753-D441-43E5-ACBF-5B3D448880B8.jpeg
Wow I feel like a jerk! Took pictures the morning after the smoke and completely forgot to post them. I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me :). Finished up the pastrami just after midnight. Wrapped it and threw it in the refrigerator overnight. It turned out a little salty (didn’t soak in water before smoking) but evened out once I piled it on some rye with mustard. All in all it was good, nice smoke. Will definitely pre-soak before the smoke next time.

Looks good! Points for sure!

Also, I grew up in northwest Indiana and do not miss the winters, except sledding in the dunes!

The Dunes are a family favorite! We are lucky to be only 15 minuets from such beauty. The winters never seem to end! Come on summer!

Do you do a water soak at all to reduce the salt levels before smokin?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky