Pastrami on the Backwoods Party (Pictures)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swinefan

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 8, 2016
Washington DC
All right, so I decided to give try my hand at pastrami. I have smoked/boiled/cooked many a corned beef (sliced thin after on my slicer) for my favorite sandwich ever- corned beef sandwich. I wanted to go a step further and see what it would be like to go full pastrami. ON TO THE MEAT!

I started with a 4.5 lb corned beef brisket I got at my local Aldi (a little under $4 a lb, pretty good deal). I soaked it overnight in water to remove the salt and coated it in the good stuff:

Musturd
fresh ground pepper (tons)
fresh ground coriander
fresh ground mustard seed
garlic powder
onion powder

I let it hang out for an hour+ while I prepped my smoker

IMG_2751.jpg

I smoked it (at 270) for 4 hours totally uncovered (about 160 degrees) before putting it on a rack in pan with some beef broth to steam. I let this ride about 3 hours and then put it back on the smoker to crisp up the bark (to a temp of about 200). You can see below the finished product- the bark was perfect.
IMG_2753.jpg

I ran it through my slicer the next day - so tender! much of it just fell apart.
IMG_2754.jpg

I thin sliced some onions with some swiss cheese and regular yellow mustard...
IMG_2755.jpg

finished product!! It is just so tender it is hard to describe.
IMG_2756.jpg

Verdict-

The crust and pepper flavors are fantastic without being overwhelming. I will say in the future I will stick with regular corned beef. It is easier to prepare (stick it in a pan with water and just throw it in the oven/smoker!) and I like the salty texture of the meat a bit more that the soaking/steaming steps remove. This was a very fun adventure and I was sure glad I tried it, the presentation blew my buddies away.

how long does the pastrami last in the fridge, i want to do this, but i don't want to waste if i won't eat it all.

That looks great, It is on my list to do this spring when we get some better weather. Like for sure.
If you vac seal it it will last longer in the fridge or freezer do it will not go to waste.

I agree, I can't see it ever going to waste. I smoke meat and turn them into cold cuts on my slicer all the time (ham, corned beef, bacon, roast beef) and between vacuum sealing (sometimes just a simple ziplock bag) and the freezer they last months. I probably wouldn't leave it in the fridge over two weeks before transporting to the freezer.

Great job on your first pastrami!
They start to go on sale in a month or so for St. Patty's Day.
Next time try to find a point cut for your pastrami, if you do I doubt you will go back to corned beef.
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Al "Next time try to find a point cut for your pastrami." I have a question. I cut off a point from a brisket, corned it then smoked. It was delicious!! However while all liked the taste my crew were not happy with all the fat. So I am wondering what’s behind your recommendation to use the "point"? Do you find that too?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky